help help help!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by anb, Aug 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Nitrates are nil and phosphates next to the same. It's bryopsis... It's ugly and annoying and I honestly haven't figured out why it's still surviving.

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

You need 1,600 -1,800 ppm magnesium using Kent Tech M. Trust me.

Corailline's question about the alk reading is important. Are you dosing directly to the display?

4. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

To the sump.

5. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Will Lugol's work as a dip to stop this? I can't see losing this thing and Lugol's will be the only thing available to me quick enough to maybe stand a chance. Also I've read that "glueing the dead tissue up to just past good tissue" will "slow it down" so that you have a better chance of getting a handle on it... thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Reason I ask is one possibility could be alk burn.

7. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

K, So I've read this thing is contagious and fragging and dipping is the only way to even stand a chance. I can't believe this... honestly, right now I want to go back to fish only.

8. Click Here!

9. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

any thoughts on the glueing or anythings else I might try. My alk test is nowhere to be found, least I couldn't find it last night, so I'll be heading to LFS when they open for that and a new test kit (if they have one)

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The RTN could be caused by so many things. One of the biggest causes is stress related to parameter swings such as swings in alkalinity. When dosing calcium it's really important to know the alk value as well. What about a current pH level?

It could be a pathogen such as brown jelly, myself I have never been able to save a piece once it set in on a acropora.

If you do frag, you need to frag the pieces above the area of tissue loss, Lugols will work fine if diluted properly. Using glue to stop the progression in tissue loss is usually more effective on a slow tissue necrosis.

11. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Will above the area be a problem if half the piece seems unaffected so far? Could I frag off of it and be hopeful of a higher chance.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Corals - Bacterial

A pH of 8.3 is good.

My opinion is that if it spread any further on the coral, frag it and hope for the best.

Good Luck