Help glueing mushrooms

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by FishThumb, Apr 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FishThumb

FishThumb Astrea Snail

I got a rock with 2 large red fuzzy mushrooms on it and between them was a tiny green mushroom that got covered every time the reds opened up. I used a razor a cut it off and glued it with superglue to another rock. The greenie shriveled right up and flaked away off the rock and into my rockscape never to be seen again or so I thought. I see it 2 weeks later happily sitting between two rocks on my crushed coral looking very well about the size of a dime. I dug it out and reglued it with the same results as the first time. It is again in the corner of my tank on my crushed coral looking very happy. Is it ok on the sand? or does it need to be attached to something? How do I attach it without it shriveling up and falling off? It is the size of a dime.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You really should allow it attach on it's own. I let mine attach to a piece of crushed coral, then move it near a rock where it eventually starts moving up. Alternatives are, either affix it with netting and rubber bands to a rock, or place it in a bowl with some rubble and set in a low-flow area of the tank until it attaches.

4. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

Locktite or Locktight (however you spell it), makes glue that you can use reef friendly. I do it for almost every single coral.

5. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

let it attach to a piece of rubble by itself, then glue that rubble down, not the actual mushroom.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I know you want it to attach and you can do it naturally which is best. However, he sounds awfully content to be moving around...just a thought

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Good luck gluing mushrooms.......It's unhealthy for them as they are pretty much anemone type creatures that can actually migrate if they are so inclined. I would just try to get it to attach naturally.

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

While this is certainly true, I think the point is that it doesn't work well with the shrooms.

Mine often grow, split, travel in the current, find a place they like, -housing costs, utility costs, safe neighborhood, schools; and when they find a place they like, they settle in and multiply!

I frag them sometimes by pulling them off where they are with a hemostat clamp, and set them down on my finely CC substrate. They pretty much sit there and attach to some gravel.
    Then, I give them away by putting them in a ziplock and the recepient places them where they would lke them to stay, and if the market is right, schools, mall close by, etc., they stay and multiply, run for school board, etc.
    ;-)

10. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I often find a few floating around in the current. They attach themselves wherever they can settle down. Like Todd said, whatever community they like. Best to place in a low flow area on something it can attach to and then move the rock or whatever to the desired location.

11. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I seen someone once take a bowl, like a Whipcream type plastic tub, then he filled the entire bottom with pieces of rubble rock to cover all the plastic on the bottom, threw in the Mushroom and placed it where the current was the weakest and it eventually attached, then pulled whatever rubble it attached to and glued that to a bigger rock.

12. FishThumb

FishThumb Astrea Snail

awesome! got some good ideas. Thanks!!