Help!! GHA outbreak!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by sjn1282, Oct 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sjn1282

sjn1282 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Also i put a piece of rock that had some of the algae on it in the fuge thinking that might make it grow down there and eat up some of the nutrients before they go back into the tank. The emerald in the fuge has been eating off that and ive see it eating the chaeto also.

2. Click Here!

3. MG1970

MG1970 Plankton

I was having problems with GHA because of a RO/DI unit issue. I used Striped Trochus snails to clean up the GHA. They will clean up a large rock in a day!

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

What's your PHos? Have the lfs water tested also.

5. sjn1282

Here are some pics of the tank now that it took off.

Attached Files:

6. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

Its very possible that your lfs hasn't changed their filter media in their ro/di unit in a while. So +1 to testing your lfs water. How long has your tank been going?

7. sjn1282

To test it i would need to get a tds meter right? It has been up about 8 months. I went thru the detritus stage and then i got that frag that had the little bit of the algae on it, it disappeared after a few days, then a week or 2 later started growing everywhere.

8. Click Here!

9. sjn1282

Everytime i get the water tested they say it looks good. No nitrates, no nitrites, ph is 8.1, calcium i just got back down to 450 about 2 weeks ago, and he said phosphates were very minimal. Didnt give me a number on them. I want to just get my own kit so i can test it. Are the api master kits worth getting? Also should i try the vodka method or raising the mag or bad idea?

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

You need to have something to absorb the phosphates because the algae is absorbing it. Do you run any phosphate absorbing media like GFO or phosguard?

You should use a TDS meter yes. You really should invest in at least some basic test kits. You can then at least test for phosphates in the RO water.....Starting with water is a good way to see where the extra phosphates are coming from...

11. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

You could get a tds meter and test the water or you could test for nitrate and phosphate. I don't think that the frag with algea on it is the issue as it wouldn't grow without available nutrients. Try to identify the cause and in the mean time manually remove it and do water changes.

If you want to try dosing vodka be thorough in researching because it can cause a lot of other problems. It also requires that you test often to be able to determine the correct dose.

12. sjn1282

So if they didnt change their filters and i am picking up phoshates in the water what would be the next step? Go somewhere else? Or can i get the phosphates out of the current water i have if it does have it?