Help Fuge Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by bsutton, Aug 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

Hey Telgar, I'm going to go ahead and use glass. Quick question. Should the teeth be 1" deep and 1" wide?

Brian

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

mine are 1" deep and between 1/4 and 1/2" wide. think I had a 3/8th " wide bit.

If the glass shop cant cut the teeth have them cut out the section the teeth will go into and you can buy premade teeth that fit over the glass edge or cut them from a piece of lexan plexiglass and glue that to the glass opening.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

This is exactly how my setup is. 40g breeder as well. I do have my skimmer on an adjustable stand. My only difference is the fuge wall is about 17" tall, almost to the top. I figured might as well make it as much volume as possible. If my tank loses power, there is still plenty of room in the sump for drainage.

5. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

How did you make an adjustable stand?

Brian

6. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

This weekend I got the glass baffles cut and siliconed in. I have to wait a couple day to do a water test. I ended up having the fuge baffle cut 4" x 1" in one corner. I also bought two 8" x 10" lexon plastic sheets. I will cut some teeth to place on fuge baffle and the rest I will cut to size, drill some holes and make a stand for the skimmer.

I have read that my skimmer operates in 6" of water. I may build a couple of stands at differant heights and have them removable instead of siliconing it in. I want to make sure what the correct water level will be before installing permanently.

Cost:
    glass baffles-$25
    silicone-$5
    lexon plastic-$10

Brian

Attached Files:

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

Thanks chief.

Brian

10. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Great job, looks very clean and professional.
    question: how much space did you leave under the center baffle in the bubble trap? it looks just a bit low in the pic but could be the angle. should be at least 1"

11. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

Thanks. Its an 1 1/2". I messed up on the baffles, they are spaced an 1 5/8" but I figured thats not that big of a deal. Now I'm debating on how to approach the skimmer stand.

Brian

12. iforgotlah

iforgotlah Plankton

hey telgar,take a look at mine

mind telling me what i should do with my sump? i just fixed in the baffles recently and im still guessing what i should do with it. heres the pic. anyway it seems your return pump is in the middle? and your water entering the sump is from 2 sides? i think i should do something similar to yours

Attached Files: