Urgent help! everything is dying...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by dskyers, Feb 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

when i went to bed everything was fine got home from work the next day my two clowns are complety gone. this is in a nano tank like there missing. and my firefish is dead as well. one of my anonoe crabs is dead. one of my rock nems died. i dont understand.everything was fine no one looked sick everyone was eating swimming playing flowing fingers and crap lol. now there gone and im sad. i still have alot of other coral thinking there going to waste away too. this is what happend. that night i had turned of the lights becuse we were watching a movie. everything is on a timer so it never came back on. that night i had added a bag of carbon water was cludy witch i think is normal for a few days. i also added some caorl the day before as well. so i get home lights are off. i look in tank its couldy i see one dead fish. one dead pink rock nem. clowns are missing. and are you ready bristol worms from hell everywhere in my nano this freaky looking little star fish. baby star fish everywhere. i swear i saw like a worm looking thing swimming in the water. really big copods or w.e there called everywhere. and dead ones now everywhere. i worked really hard to get them like that so i could add a mandarin goby now thats poof.it was like a horror movie in a tank. keep in mind i came home with box from reef cleaners in hand. new clean up crew new pods new cheto new food for my coral im so f...... pissed. :confused:feel like dumping everything out the tank and starting over. theres still like a 150 worth of coral in it only reason i have not. :-[:cry::cry:

2. Click Here!

3. bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976 Banned

Go grab you a clear tub get you some fresh saltwater and put what ever you have alive in there with a powerhead, thermometer, and a light on it. It seems like you might have overdosed what ever you added.

It is sad to say but starting over might be your only option try to save your corals while you can.

4. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

Have you checked your water parameters?

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

How much is a "whole bag" of carbon? Did you not rinse it first? Have you been using it, and how often do you change it?

FYI, A large amount of unrinsed carbon can deplete your oxygen level within minutes. You should also never use unrinsed carbon as the dust has been linked to HLLE.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

+1 to this

what are your param looking like?

7. dskyers

holy crap i did not rinse that damn bag of carbon just threw it in. i even saw all the stuff and thought about it. i killed my fish. wow. so should i just do a major water change? or do i need to cycle all over agin

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

well dont add anything for 2-3weeks, if corals are dead remove them and if they arnt, let them be there. dont dose anything or if you can add prodibio biodigest. well your tank will be just fine. also check the SG. water should only be cloudy when u blow of the dust from the LR.

10. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

eeeeck HLLE and HITH are very scary. I just started using Activated Carbon and my water clearity really perked up but a few of my corals retracted for a few days. You must make sure to always rinse that dusty stuff out! I only use 12 tablespoons worth for my 30g Nano, and I keep it in a HOB filter that's attached to my Refugium and only change it once every 4-6 weeks.

Really hope you can save your tank. Like others have said, do a 100% Water change, and just be patient. YOu can also take your water with you in a jar to the LFS so they can test it themselves. GOod luck keep us informed!

11. dskyers

going to do half water change and test i think it should be fine.

12. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

the right amount is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons for carbon and GFO both. check BRS website.