Urgent HELP dinoflagellates

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by blackreef13, Jul 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackreef13

blackreef13 Coral Banded Shrimp

i set up my tank 6 days ago and thought i was seeing diatoms and researched a little and found out about dinoflagellates how do i get rid of it before it gets worse

2. Click Here!

3. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

4. blackreef13

5. blackreef13

6. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

hard to tell but i had the same thing happen to me and it was cyno. you will have different blooms while your tank cycles. its probably just bubbles being caught in that stuff. you may need to adjust your powerheads so that you dont have dead spots but thats jmo. someone else can probably help you more.

7. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

8. Click Here!

9. blackreef13

started noticing it becuase the bubbles would carry up little sand clumps it looks weird

10. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

yeah cycling can definately throw some wierd stuff at you. i think you will be ok in the end.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i dont think it is dino. I think it is just a normal cyano bloom. Dino looks more like a nasty snot infection. A normal cyano bloom will cause bubbles also.

Regardless at this point it doesnt really matter (since you dont have anything in there) if it is cyano or dino. Basically treat it the same. An algea bloom actually can signal the end of a cycle.

there are a few questions I have:
    1. how long are you running your lights. I would personally turn off all the lights for several days. Many times when people start a tank we run our lights a lot.....causing a bloom. A black out will help decrease some of the nutrients in the tank.
    2. What are your levels, particullarly ammonia and nitrates. Phosphates are not a very accurate test......as you could have zero phosphates but have a boat load in your tank (the algea actually pulls it out of the water so you will get zero) If you are done cycling I would go ahead and add a clean up crew (crabs, snails etc) If cycle is done then you can go ahead and do a water change
    3. what type of water did you use? RO or tap?

12. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Same thing happened in my 10g nano. In about week 4 I pulled some big clumps of "gummy", slime coated sand out and then the hermits and snails took care of the rest. In about week 6 it was all clear. I think it's just part of the normal process.