Help!! Decorator crab came by mistake!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by DJISIS, Aug 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DJISIS

DJISIS Astrea Snail

Where do I put him??? I have a reef tank with hard and soft corals... I don't mind so much if he's only going to clip off some of the softies.. even though I really like my blasto's.. the prob. came when I ment to order an ANEMONE crab from my trusty LFS.. and they called today to let me know that my Decorator crab came in... Long story short he's here now.. I wouldn't mind keeping him, until we find him a home, or until he's taken all he will from my tank.. AAAGGHH! What will he do if I put him in display?? I 'm mainly conserned about my LPS like the Bubble, and Fox coral.. Do you think he would be likely to hurt them , or go for the zoe's?? I could put him in my fuge if I needed to... PLease any advise would help!!!

2. Click Here!

3. DJISIS

DJISIS Astrea Snail

Oh, and wouold he possibly hurt my BTA?? Ifeel sorry for the guy.. It's not his faut he was ordered by mistake.. :(

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

The Decorator Crab, a.k.a. Sponge Crab, has a triangular shaped body with two long front claws. The claws are long because the Decorator Crab will pick at sponge, rock, barnacles, polyps, caulerpa, and the like, and then reach around to stick the item on its back; magically, the item immediately sticks to its back. They use the items they place on their back as camoflauge to protect them from predators. Decorator Crabs are very slow moving creatures and docile. They will accept most foods. They may remove some polyps from a coral, but they have no intention of damaging a coral. Decorator Crabs do not continuously remove polyps; once they have their back camoflauged they are comfortable. They come in various colors of orange, black, gray, and brown.

Crabs belong to the Class Crustacea and Order Decapoda, which is characterized by two pair of antennae, three body parts, and five pairs of legs. The head of a Crab is connected to the thorax and covered by a shell called carapace. They have a smaller abdomen and tail compared to Shrimp and they keep this tucked beneath the carapace. The first pair of their legs are usually developed claws which they use to gather food, use as protection, and to move objects. In order for Crabs to grow they need to shed their exoskeleton, a process called "molting", which allows them to remove their restricting shell and begin a new one. Often times in the home aquarium Crabs will leave this translucent shell in full view so it can serve as a distraction while the Crab finds a hiding place and allows its new shell to harden.

there not reef safe. put it in your sump or in a bucket with water and a airstone

1 person likes this.
  5. DJISIS

DJISIS Astrea Snail

Do you think that he would look at the LPS as possible deco though? I don;t mind if he gets somem on-f my zoe's or mushrooms or feather dusters .. I have loads of them .. IO was mainly conserned about the stoneys.. Thanks for the info though.. very informative! :)

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Can you keep him in your sump until they get your anenome crab, then do a trade. I mean, if they ordered the wrong item for you, a good LFS will make good on their error.

......oooorrrrr, you could use this as a great excuse to start another tank. Maybe a small one. Maybe a 5.5g. Maybe 10g. But if you are willing to do that, a 29g isn't that much bigger. In fact, a 40g tank doesn't take much more space than a 29.......Hmmmmmm.

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

do you have to pick him up? Can you tell the LFS that you made a mistake and you dont want him? They will be able to sell him. Enough people have non-reef tanks out there that would want him. I would just be honest with them and say sorry man, my mistake!

10. GitsieLouWho

GitsieLouWho Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am going to have to agree with schackmel. Why risk your reef, when it could go to a very loving non reef home. Mistakes happen they should understand.

11. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

I had one in a reef tank once (my husband's idea). He destroyed two sponges and lots of zoas. He was getting too aggressive with the fish so he ended up in the sump. I had to trade him in and 6 months later he is still at the lfs and I get to visit him often.

12. tizzy

tizzy Plankton

if you were in az.. id take him... i got a swim tank... with triggers.. i dont think hed mess with them.. hehe