HELP!!! Daughter spilled milk in tank.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by H-Rad, Dec 17, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. H-Rad

H-Rad Plankton

So my daughter spilled about a cup of milk in my 65g tank. The water is now cloudy. I don't want dead fish or coral. Is there anything I can do to save them...or should I not worry? Will the skimmer pick up the milk particles?
    Please Help.

2. Click Here!

3. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

i would do a water change but i think it will be fine with just that.it will disolve anyhow and its pretty much to late to stop.cant turn back the hands of time.just a water change.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I wouldn't stress over it too much. Just do a water change and run new carbon.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would also run some Carbon. Adjust your skimmer to run wetter skimmate and yes do a water change. once you do the water change prep some more water just in case you need to do more

6. H-Rad

H-Rad Plankton

thanks for the quick responses. I'll do a water change as soon as I get home...about another 4 hours. I'm not running any carbon right now...I have a fulval 404 with some live rock and floss in it...should I drop a carbon in there aswell for added protection?

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Underlines need to make tanks and sump area's kid-proof.

Lucky just milk this time.

Lost a FW tank once due to missing pager turning up in it. (Batteries finally corroded and killed off everything) - don't know why kid thought it should go in there:confused:

A stray coin, can cause a major disaster in a SW tank.

Zip-ties go on cabinet doors when grandkids here for visit. --- nothing near tank they can stand on to get near top.

Some kind of cover a must if kids around. :-/

8. Click Here!

9. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I can personally attest to the fun a few pennies can cause for a SW tank. Just wish my drunk friends new how far they're $.04 or $.05 went...:mad:

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you don't have any other place in the tank where you can pass water through the carbon then, yes, put some in one of the Fluval's media chambers.

11. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

Water changes should do it least your fish are going to be healthier drinking milk LOL had to say it. I wonder if it does a fish good. sorry ITs not funny but least it shouldnt hurt your tank.

12. H-Rad

H-Rad Plankton

Thanks all...I did a water change and bought some carbon. Unfortunately the fluval doesn't have it's chambers...it's just the shell with the top and hoses. I bought some carbon sponge and put it in instead of the floss...will change it out after a bit.
    On a plus note...hopefully the fish will have stonger bones now :)