Help! Damsel is deteriorating.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by kyanjesse, Jun 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kyanjesse

kyanjesse Flamingo Tongue

my tank is a month old, and it has cycled with my damsel. 4 days ago i added some more live rocks, a hawaiian feather duster and an ocellaris clown. at this point i moved the tank to a new location and set up a new sump as well. a day after, i started noticing my damsel got less active and kept hiding, and lost appetite. though at the beginning it was even picking on the clown a bit. since day one my feather duster's been shedding crown tentacles a little each day. just last night i noticed the damsel has become quite weak and had some white blocthes on his skin (it's like his skin is decomposing). and he would stay in one corner almost losing balance. is this some kind of ich(crypt) problem? ill try to get a photo tonight as im at work right now.

unfortunately i only have a Nitrite test kit and pH. most fish stores dont have nitrate or ammonia test kits. nitrite has increased to 0.3 mg/l last night and pH got to 7.3 from the consistent 7.4 since i frist checked in the 2nd week of cycling. since the end of cycling i havent done a water change. but adding a sump increased total water volume almost double. at this point should i perform a 10? 20? 30%water change? and how often-if this is the solution. what else can i do?

i've read about quarantines, but if i'd be willing to do this i'd be bored of my tank. could i get some corals and inverts like shrimp while i wait 8 weeks for my tank to heal if in case i have ich parasites present? thanks for your replies in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

by the sounds of it, without all the proper test kits ,you may not have fully cycled. especially the ammonia test.

4. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

Take a sample of water (a cup or two) to the LFS for testing and purchase a full test kit). Cycling is a continuous state which occurs when new livestock is added and the beneficial bacteria which consume ammonia, nitrate and nitrite increase in quantity to match the bioload. This means that though your INITIAL cycle which develops the colonies of these bacteria has ended, the tank is far from mature.

Once you have your sample come back, use the form below and post in ASAP. Also read my FAQ

5. kyanjesse

kyanjesse Flamingo Tongue

but my damsel has survived a nitrite level of 1.6 mg/l. shouldn't it be hardy enough to withstand this spike? and my clownfish is still doing better (i think). i could only find an ammonia test kit, other than that they only have pH(which i got), KH or something. and my LFS is in another city. could only travel on weekends.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

If you have nitrites, you are cycling. And ammonia is a lot more toxic, so with out knowing that, who knows?
    Also, that is very low for PH. Lower is more acidic, and 7.4 is on the verge of doing harm/causing burns. Try to get it up in the 8.2-8.4 range.
    I would not do a water change at this point. If you do, it will only prolong the parameter spikes. The tank needs to be given time to establish its balance.