HELP. Cyano or Algae? I am going nuts!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by NittyGritty, Oct 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

What size tank are you using ro/di water? What fish and how often are they fed? skimmer? if so what is it?

2. Click Here!

3. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Is heavy water changes all that's needed to rid the excess nutrients?

4. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Water changes will help with the excess nutrients, but if you don't figure out where the excess is coming from, it will keep coming back.

Not sure if you said how much you were feeding, but overfeeding is one of the biggest causes for cyano.

I have a moderate bioload, but 2 big messy eaters (triggers) and I feed about a cube and a half of food every other day. On the off days, I put in sheets of nori for my tang and angel. Any usually about once a week, I will throw in some pellets, just for variety.

I still battle areas of cyano every now and then if I get too heavy on feeding pellets.

5. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I have the korilla 2 and the new version of the 3. I have cut back my feeding of PE mysis to every 3 days and have not feed mytank oyster feast for over a week.

Soooo, I plugged back in my phos reactor and skimmer. Skimmer is going nuts. Just filling the collection cup with water. How do I calm this down?

6. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

55 gallon. yes ro/di. euro reef rs5 and I have 3 chromis, tomato clown, cleaner wrasse, coral beauty and flame angel and a blk n white damsel

7. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

im pretty sure just dosing or over dosing the reef biofuel without the microbacter7 is what got me in trouble. others say no.

8. Click Here!

9. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I just blasted all my rocks off. when the water clears I will switch my socks with a clean one....

But, I know in a few hours it will all be back. Haunting me... :angry:

10. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Sounds like a good feeding schedule, especially without the oyster feast. If you feed too much of that, it can definitely add some excess nutrients to your tank.

One of the things about cyano, is that the battle is not a quick one. You don't just get rid of it overnight. Doing all the things you are doing will go a long way towards fighting this. One day you will look at your tank and realize it is gone.

Another thing I've tried is complete lights out for 3 days. Fish weren't bothered by it and the coral took a few days to get happy again, but the larger patches of cyano were gone. Then I siphoned out what was left. Used a turkey baster on the rocks to get it out also.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I agree with this. I know because I have done it. I rarely and I mean rarely put anything in my tanks other than part A/B, but I have used Microbacter7 and I liked it. Yes I would say the current koralias you have should do it as far a flow goes.

It is goingt to take some time to see improvement. You can try cutting back the photoperiod and if you have no corals, or even leaving the lights off for a day or two.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hey cut that out blumoon reefer :cheesy: