Help cure my yellow tang please

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Slassco, Aug 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

I need some help. Here's what I have. 180 reef setup with a variety of sealife. I found what appears to be a cut or injury on my yellow tangs side with some swelling and some small string like things. I need some help ID and possible cure. I think it just happened as he is swimming ok but breathing seems a bit rapid and he stopped eating. I attached a link to the best pix I could get.

http://www.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?sid=wAbN2zhizZtWbVyc

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

keep him healthy and well fed, you probably should quarantine him with some medication to insure it doesnt get infected.

1 person likes this.
  4. reefermadnes

reefermadnes Bristle Worm

Melafix from walmart works great. I had a fish hide in some rocks I took out of my tank and put them outside. I couldn't find him anywhere, I took a half hour to find him. He had two huge gushes out of both sides about the size of nickles and about a 1/4 inch deep. I put him back in the tank and he wouldn't swim I thought he was dead. Went and got that from walmart put it in the tank. One week later you couldn't tell it even happened. Your skimmer will go nuts so buts advice is just take the cup off and let it overflow, or shut it off and use an airstone.

5. Brownie

Brownie Flamingo Tongue

Hello ReeferMadnes. . . . I want to suggest setting up some sort of a quarantine tank in the future. The biggest thing people tend to forget is that aside from the few fish and the couple of coral in a tank there are hundreds of thousands of inhabitants in our reef tanks. Doing any medicating in your display tank is ill advised as you could affect your tank's eco system. I use a huge tote with an air stone, a heater and a circulation pump. This works well. Its also a super cheap method.

1 person likes this.
  6. reefermadnes

reefermadnes Bristle Worm

Yes this is true I should had advised to use a quarintine for his fish. The only reason I didn't at the time was one I didn't have another tank and two it was an emergency and a fish only tank. Since I have ugraded tank sizes and now keeping corals I have setup a quarintine. Thank you for the advice.