Help!.. Coral Bleaching

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by Zimmy71, Apr 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

I have a coral that I think is dying on me and I have no clue why. I dont know the name of the coral but is a plate type coral. I bought it about 9 months ago and was the size of a quarter and now its about as wide as a softball. I changed tanks 4 months ago and the coral really took off and was growing really big. This past week it got 3 small brown spots on it and one has really expanded. My params are perfect as of last night and I tried looking for any nudis last night but did not see any. I did see something underneath it last night but it moved really fast when the flashlight was shined on it. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Panic!

No I jest... honestly i do. Im not to sure what the coral is but it looks like SPS to me. It also looks like more then bleaching, but perhaps some necrosis too. But i couldnt say for certain. Best wait for someone who knows what coral it is.

Have you tried an iodine dip?

1 person likes this.
  4. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

No, not yet

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It's a chalice coral. It looks like it has been taken over by cyno bacteria, a nuisance type algae or it could be brown jelly disease. I would frag what I could off of it and clean the area where it is.

6. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Looks like a Hollywood stunner chalice and it's going down fast. Did something sting it?
    Might want to frag off the dying section to keep the infection from spreading.

Jack

1 person likes this.
  7. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

No nothing stung it as far as other corals cause its next to the glass about 5 inches or more away from an acan. I did see the other night the orange legged hermit sitting ontop of the infected area for a few minutes.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Just to make sure you know, it's not bleaching but dying. As stated, I would try to frag off a healthy piece and see how that does.

10. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

I am going to frag it when I get home. How do I unattach it from the lr?

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

At this point, I would try to gently do it at first, if not, just break a piece off and remove the rest.

1 person likes this.
  12. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

should i dip the pieces in lugol's solution after i break them off? Also should i try to glue them to the lr or plugs first?