help clownfish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by 99tmsmith, Mar 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

No the thing I buy is brine shrimp , and some time saltwater for water changes. I never done a reef tank and I told I just started a new tank and I asked the guy at Petco if I need to start put something in the tank If I want to do a reef later down the road. And he to use that stuff. The local sw store is kinda a joke. And there 2 others are really good store very helpful and there like 10miles away and the other is like 19 miles away. But price are expansive. But I get what I pay for

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you can get a product similar to Dr. Tims or Microbacter7 that would help.

For now focus on getting the 3 remaining clowns through the cycle. If you can do a couple smaller water changes that would probably help. You might get lucky and the 3 clowns work out. You'll not be able to add the 4th back to the tank.

So you now have 2 damsels and 3 clowns?

You're going to have to make sure you do not over feed, your biological filter is not yet established enough to handle it.

If you have any LR in the 20 gallon and can spare a piece or two, perhaps move that over to the 65 gallon.

You do not need to start to worrying about dosing products like trace elements for a long while, it's a waste of money and perhaps detrimental to your system.

Next time you go to the higher end LFS get them to test your Ca/Alk and Magnesium just to get a baseline. Try to buy those test kits yourself, you'll need them when you start adding stony corals.

4. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I Couldn't of said it better...LoL

Great advice!!!!

I went with your advice a few weeks ago and been adding Microbacter7 so far for a week now and still need another week.

1 person likes this.
  5. 99tmsmith

99tmsmith Astrea Snail

A little update the 3 clown in the 65 g are doing not fighting. And the 1 clown in the 20 g is doing ok. It looks like it's having trouble swimming but I think he will be ok.
    I'm gonna go get saltwater, should I get another bottle of bacteria? And I have been doing 15gallon water change's. And coralline mention do smaller water changes so I do 5gallon today then in a few day should I do another 5 gallons. Then another in a few days after that????

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like a plan. Smaller consecutive water changes are better than large ones, in my opinion.

You can add another bacteria in a bottle, just follow the directions on the bottle.

Good glad the other clowns are peaceful and the lone clown might pull out of it.