Help, brown algae on my live rock

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chrischick, Apr 13, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chrischick

chrischick Astrea Snail

I dont have a RO filter......And I cannot afford a skimmer at this present time. But one will be getting purchased in the very near future.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool.. save your pennies, those two things will really help you down the road. I couldn't believe the difference when I switched to R.O. My algae problems went away.

4. chrischick

chrischick Astrea Snail

it is really weird looking algae.......bubbles in the red stuff.....the green algae is growing soooo fast......just today its spread more and more,,,,,im scared guys.. :huh:

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

[quote author=chrischick link=board=ASAP;num=1081871575;start=15#22 date=04/16/04 at 14:25:10]im scared guys.. :huh:[/quote]
    That funny,  I had the same reaction when I first started my tank.
    You feel you have done something very wrong and you need to fix it.  Well I hate to say it but odds are this is just part or the tank maturation process.
    When it was happening in my tank I would spend hours with a piece of airline tubing vacuuming up all the Cyano but the next day it would be back.  I would again vacuum it all up.  It made me feel better and it made the tank look better for a few hours.  you may want to give it a try

J

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Chemi pure will help ya out also.

But by far RO/DI water is the base for any tank. Then a skimmer.

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

even in my 55 gal. w/ a skimmer and have had it up for 5 1/2 months. I still have brown algae growing and I use IO water.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=ASAP;num=1081871575;start=15#26 date=04/16/04 at 18:52:07]even in my 55 gal. w/ a skimmer and have had it up for 5 1/2 months. I still have brown algae growing and I use IO water.[/quote]
    What is IO water?
    I have also posted some things in your other threads.

11. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

I mean DI. Help I have this huge brown algae bloom in my tank today. It's everywhere on the glass,sand and LR. How should I get rid of it and stop it.

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

You have a water quality issue. use RO/DI water and your lights are not on long enough to grow coraline algae