Help, brown algae on my live rock

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chrischick, Apr 13, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Carbon could cause an algal bloom *IF* it was processed with phosphate (used in the process where they make it more porous I believe). Most reef grade carbons aren't but you can get ahold of it at your LFS if you buy cheap stuff.

2. Click Here!

3. chrischick

chrischick Astrea Snail

I put aquaclear carbon in.....It really makes the tank unappealing and not as nice to look at though thats for sure...I hope mine doesnt last 5 1/2 months.... :eek: Ill loose it......it looks nasty....would I be alright to start adding a few hermits now...I was only going to add three....see if they clean up some of the stuff in there..

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Not to cast a downer here, but with a tank only a month old, I would slow down. 2 fish in one month can put a real stress on your biofiltration depending on your tank size. Traditionally you would add your cleaning crew before your fish and only after everything was stable for 8 to 10 weeks. Inverts don't tolerate nitrites very well so be sure that reading iz zero. A skimmer would aid your situation immensly.

5. chrischick

chrischick Astrea Snail

So I should buy a skimmer asap then eh....Still dont see how this will get algae off my rock but hey... :eek: ;D

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It will export nutrients that are feeding the algae.

7. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

can old carbon cause algae. That hasn't been changed in a month and a half. should the brown algae last 5 1/2 months.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

CC if you want to update your profile and put your tank specs/set-up in your signature it will greatly inhance our ability to trouble shoot and offer advice.

10. chrischick

chrischick Astrea Snail

Done........I just want it to go away...there is small blooms of red film on the glass and sand and rocks...and some bright green spots too... :-[

11. chrischick

chrischick Astrea Snail

Update
    Brown algae is starting to subside...Not sure why....But it looks like its going away...Now a whole new barrell of fun....There is bright red and green blooms, blobs in circular patterns on the glass and substrate...also on my live rock....lime green...not a thick coating...but still there...I think Im in diar need of some cleaners eh.....Well, Just giving the update..also, this red algae has bubbles it looks like in some of it..weird.. :eek:

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Do you have an R.O. filter?
    Looking at skimmers yet?

@gresham - good point on carbon, i had read that too now that I am thinking about it, but I don't buy the cheap stuff. I get some scientific grade stuff from an LFS. Black diamond is supposed to be pretty good main stream carbon for what it's worth.