HELP!! Broken Sump!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RemickJ, Dec 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

So I'm a complete idot. I went to trill my sump today and drilled first with a smaller bit went up one more size and then went to my 5/8 hole that I needed. When I was driller through with my 5/8 the bit grabed the acrylic and took a chunck out of it the size of a half dollar. Can this be repaired. Can I get a piece of plexi and some aquarium silicone and patch it? As one can immigine I am beside myself..

2. Click Here!

3. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

I bet you can epoxy it but, I would replace it. JB Weld might also work, do you have the piece that broke off?

1 person likes this.
  4. RemickJ

it went in to a bunch of pieces so I can't repair it with the material that was there. It's right around the waterline where the hole is..

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

How about a picture of the damage?

6. Beamerhack

Beamerhack Coral Banded Shrimp

Post a pic, it will let me know if I would try to repair or just get a new one.

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That's too bad. Provided it's not in a corner; it's completely repairable, but won't be much to look at when you're done. If the breakage is sort of round, just cut a square piece of acrylic large enough to cover the hole by a few inches. Run a bead or two of silicone around the periphery of the square piece about a half-inch from the outside and use a knife or something to smear it like peanut butter on a cracker. Center that over the breakage and apply from the inside. Push to make sure it's nice and firm, and visually confirm that the application is watertight.

Since this is a sump I'm assuming it's not a monster vessel, so the repair shouldn't cause any strength or integrity issues.

Hopefully you have a scrap piece of plexi laying around. If not, Home Depot sells small pieces for not too much money.

Good luck!! :)

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

just cut a piece about 1" all the way around bigger than the hole and silicone it to the inside of the sump and it will be fine, acylic glue would be faster and stronger if you have that but both ways are fine

1 person likes this.
  10. RemickJ

Here is what I'm working with..

Attached Files:

11. hydrojeff

sorry Reef Sparky i type slow so you beat me...

12. hydrojeff

next time use a step bit they work great and they wont grab like a metal drill bit does