Help asap!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kas, Oct 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

Been having a terrible problem with micro bubbles in my 210g tank. This morning disconnected the Gen-X pump to check connections and clean. My questions: Should there be a fine, white cover of salt spray on pump? Also, should the cup-shaped part that holds the "spinner" be greased before putting back together? There was a thin layer of a greasy material that we cleaned out. Please, someone......help! Thanks! Kas

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont know much about Gen-X pumps b/c I've never used one before, but I'm assuming that it is installed externally. Your external pump shouldnt have any salt creep(SC) unless it has a small leak somewhere or it is getting sprayed some how. The fact that your getting alot of microbubbles(MB) and SC makes me think that theres a leak causing this somewhere. The MB is happening just like a skimmer. Where ever the SC is forming, thats where the leak is. Usually at a joint. Luna

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

what is your tank plumbed with pvc. i have found that if one of the joints if lose going to the pump intake it will suck in air and create alot of micro bubbles

5. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

Thanks for the info! We got the pump cleaned and installed and did find a leak at a joint between flex and rigid pipe....near the pump. After fixing, that stopped the bubbles about 80%. We think the vibration from the pump may have caused the glue to crack. Just a guess.....so many things can go wrong w/a tank. We're leaving for vacation tomorrow morning so hoping we can get everything stable before then. Thanks again......Kas

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

There should be no grease in the impeller part of the pump housing. Water passes through that so don't grease it. How low is the water in the return pump chamber??? Is it sucking air, like creating a whirlpool every so often??