Help asap please!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Arman2K, Aug 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi, fellow 3reefers,

I have made a post couple weeks ago about this type of algae that it taken over my tank. I forgot what it's and some say it due to phosphate in my tank. I ONLY used RO/DI water, I have this filter for year and a half now (maybe not that long). I have change the filter media of the RO/DI one time, about 7-8 months ago. Maybe it making BAD water? and it the cause of the algae?

I have notice a SIGNIFICANT change on my RO/DI system. The GOOD water increase ALOT. My system is 60 GPD. It use to make 40 GPD, but now it make like 100+ GPD with the rate it doing. Is there something wrong with my system? I don't understand why it does this, anyone know?

So here are the pics of the algae on my tank. Please ID's it for me and how I could get rid of it and keep it under maintance. My brother in law tank have same issue.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The color of the algae is brownish/reddish, now is hairy kinda like.

Thanks...

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I doubt its all your RODI water's fault, but get a TDS meter to test out your filters anyway. IT called red slime algae, or more specifically cyanobatceria. I would bet its fed by tang poop. List you maintenance routine and equipment along with your water parameters and we can figure this out.

4. mdbannister

mdbannister Flamingo Tongue

5. mdbannister

mdbannister Flamingo Tongue

Also, be sure to vacuum your sand regularly (when you do water changes) if you aren't already.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Moved to --------- Algae.

"I doubt its all your RODI water's fault, but get a TDS meter to test out your filters anyway. IT called red slime algae, or more specifically cyanobatceria. I would bet its fed by tang poop. List you maintenance routine and equipment along with your water parameters and we can figure this out." Ingtar____shinowa.

+1

And please provide lighting and age of tank.

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I'm not going to blame your very obvious Cyano cycle on your RODI filter, but I am going to spot light on the issue of your RODI unit going from 40 gpd to 100 gpd. That usually indicates your DI membrane is going bad, and too much mineral carrying water getting through. A 60 GPD unit should not be producing 100 GPD, so you have an issue on the side.

As for the Cyano, don't go all crazy trying to kill it.....you'll never win. That bacteria exists naturally everywhere in salt water ecosystems. It's considered the building block of life itself.......I don't think your going to kill it That easily....lol Instead, try to find out what you're feeding it.......and then you'll at least be able to control it. But, to be honest, I find cyano in every dark corner of my tank, and that's where I like to see it, Off in the dark corners.......

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

To be honest......this is Very bad advise. Your sand bed should be left still as possible. It contains a lot of bacteria, especially anaerobic bacteria, that die when they come in contact with oxygen. When you stir all that up, you inadvertently create a mini cycle with the bacteria die off. Crushed coral, pebble substrate, or bare bottom should be Vacuumed, but not sand beds. No offense Bannister....but I hope this helps though.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

make sure you read the directions very carefully with the red slime remover. Most products require a good size water change a couple days after treating otherwise it will re-release it back into your water supply

I try to avoid chemical treatment whenever possible. Try to figure out what exactly is causing your problems.
    As said:
    1. check your TDS. You can get a meter and test the TDS. If the number is high, then you need to change your membranes/resins.
    2. Lighting cycle. How long are your bulbs on, what type of bulbs and how old are they? Cyano loves light to grow. If bulbs are old, replace them. Also I would decrease the lighting cycle by several hours (depending on how long they are on) I might even consider doing a total black out.
    3. Cut back on your feeding. I have always been taught, if you think you are feeding proper amounts, then you are feeding WAY too much. Cut it back by at least half what you are feeding.
    4. Run phosban reactor, if you dont have a phosban reactor get phosguard. Important with phosguard......remember to remove it after about 5 days and replace it. Phosguard can leach the phosphates back into the water however it removes phosphates VERY FAST. I love it
    5. Siphon the rocks and sand to remove as much as possible
    6 frequent water changes

11. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

I buy the unit from marine depot. Can I contact them for a membrane replacement?

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I would.