Urgent HELP Amphipods vs feather duster!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Brookie, Nov 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brookie

Brookie Plankton

My feather duster tube has been getting thinner and thinner to the point where i can see the segments of the feather duster in the tube. At lights out tonight to my amazement i saw about 7 largish striped amphipods crawling over the tube ike they were grazing on the tube. Could these be the culprits for the tube becoming thinner? And if so what do I do? And is this going to mean removing the tube worm as it will die if the tube is fully eaten?! Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers in advance

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

what do you feed the feater duster? how long have you had it?

I'm not sure if the amphiopods will eat the duster or not, but then again they are carnivorous in nature ....
    Other posobility is the duster is starving to death if your not feeding phytoplankton

4. Brookie

Brookie Plankton

I have had the feather duster for almost a year. It gets fed newly hatched brineshrimp. The actual worm is fine it is just the tube that is being affected. Could it be possible the amphipods are consuming it as it it built from detritus?

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'm going to venture a guess and say the pods are just doing what they do; and are not causing any issues with your duster. When it's lights out in my tank, amphipods are covering almost everything from sand to corals. I wish I could give you a guess as to what's happening with the duster, but I don't know.