hello, im another newbie to saltwater aquariums.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by PlumberDragon, Feb 22, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

Welcome to the Forum:) you want my honest opinion? I would hold off on the anemone for at LEAST I mean at LEAST 6 months at the minimum. Anemones are very sensitive to water parameters any experts will tell you that. I would say start off with your live rocks for about a month, let the tank cycle then add your clownfish. Nothing good happens when you rush things in this hobby just my 2 cents:) Good Luck and look forward to seeing your build:)

Corailline likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PlumberDragon

PlumberDragon Plankton

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I got a long way to go before I get my anemone it seems but I like the fact that patience is required for this. I went to big als pet store and talked with the owner of the location about where to start. So sand live rock and my sump are first. Then the protein skimmer once im ready for fish. She also said lights are not essential till I get my coral and anemone.
    Anyways heres a photo of the sump I plan on buying first and ill start a new thread once I get things going in a month or so. Also I plan on buying led lights and the protien skimmer after Ive run a cylce or two. I guess I better ask now what is the term "a cylce" consist of?

Also Gotta build my cabinet for my tank before I start! 20150223_181421.jpg

Im im calgary alberta if your wondering about the prices.) 20150223_181511.jpg 20150223_174830.jpg

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

If you are handy and can DIY, you can make a simple sump if you want/need to save some coin. I can't tell what that first picture is of. It is true you don't need good strong lighting until you start to put coral in but if you plan on coral don't spend money on lights you plan on upgrading unless you have money to throw at the hobby.

The "cycle" consists of basically building nitrifying bacteria for your biological filtration. You would need either some live rock or sand from an established system to start the cycle and a food source, a lot recommend a piece of raw shrimp which will provide plenty of food for the bacteria or you can go with the bacteria in a bottle which may shorten the cycle.

The first step in the cycle is an ammonia spike which will then start to change to nitrite and then to nitrate. Once your ammonia and nitrites are both 0 your cycle is finished and you can slowly start adding livestock, keep in mind the bioload will be low at first so don't add a lot of fish and inverts at once or you may add more than the biofilter can handle, so ease into it. The cycle usually takes about 6 weeks and is the worst thing in the world because you have to be super patient.

I hope this helps

Billme likes this.
  5. Marinehead

Marinehead Plankton

I have a WHITE 40cm Strip LED & 35 CM BLUE MOON LED STRIP, I have recently introduced zoas and a Kenya tree, do you think they will be okay?

6. Marinehead

Marinehead Plankton

Hi Join the club,

I have had a reef for 7 months now with 2 hermit, 2 cleaner literally only just introduced ZOA & KENYA Tree corals,

I have 40 CM WHITE LED STRIP & 30 CM BLUE MOON LED STRIP, I have a lot of flow in the tank too.

only a 70L tank but seems to be doing well at the moment, any tips for growing these corals and are my lights strong enough>?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Hello Marine head.You will get help much faster if you start your own thread.Just click on forums find tha appropriate section then click start a new thread.
    The types of led and driver are really what matters.Do you know what brand they are??