Hello from TANKED!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by iheartpuffers, Oct 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

These are primarily fish only tanks. Most of their filtration relies on bio balls. We reefers shun the practice as they produce tons of nitrate. The reason this is because it breaks down waste into amonia, then nitrite, then to nitrate at a lightning fast rate! Not good for us reefkeepers but great for the fish only tanks. Nitrate is not that big of a deal for them as many are not lit with enough light for photosynthesis.

2. Click Here!

3. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

that seems like it makes a little more sense but there was one episode where they made a reef tank as well

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Yes in episode 5 they set up a tank with a refugium. not seeing the tank cycle is what keeps this show on the air. Let's not forget that there are products out there that minimize the time for a cycle. We in the reefing community preach patience, however if this was your business to provide instant gratification, you would take advantage of those products that allow for this.

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

6. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

true but it still takes some time, i used this and it still took about 2 weeks to cycle my 55

7. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I would like to see a glass company :)

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

You can pre-cycle bioballs, then it takes no time. Just put in a big bucket with saltwater and keep adding food. Pretty sure that's what they do. Anyways though, I still have a feeling someones having some fun with this thread LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

That really depends on how much you know...
    Example: brand new tank + fully cured live rock from my sump + brand new biologically alive sand + water = a brand new tank without a cycle. Now, throw in a large amount of carbon (just in case) and bacteria to help speed a cycle (that has a very small chance to happen). There you have it. We have a lot of service companies in So Cal and any reputable ones always have fully curred live rock on hand.

11. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

This thread is already taking the course I figured it would. Let the endless de-rail continue.....

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

12. chelltom

chelltom Skunk Shrimp

I agree somone just seeing how derailed we can get as insainepain said but I disagree with whippy saying we were hostile toward him I thought most people were decent even when saying their point of view