Hello From Sammamish!!!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by G&NSalty425, Oct 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Now that I actually read your post, I can chip in......I was just trippin' on the Sammamish thing there for a moment.

You have determined that you want a FOWLR. What I would do if I were you is go to an LFS that has a lot of corals (and a tank that has been set up for public viewing). Then make your choice if you have not already done so. You do have time. The reason I say this, is that I was going to have a FOWLR until I saw was a reef tank was. Then I was hooked.

The natural order of progression in stocking decision making is

1.) Do I want a reef tank? Yes, No. That will determine what fish and inverts you can have.

2.) What kind of fish do I want? Yes, No. That will determine what kind of inverts you can have.

There are many incompatabilities that you will have to deal with. The top two is a horrible oversimplification. Just do your research and figure it out on paper before starting. The order you put your fish in is important too in SW. I don't know about FW, but SW yes.

Have fun and ask questions. A lot of questions. Everyone here is willing to help.

John.

2. Click Here!

3. G&NSalty425

G&NSalty425 Plankton

Our reasoning for FOWLR is well lighting. At this moment we do not have the right lighting elements of a reef tank. Now maybe down the road the bug might bite us and we may have a interest to expand to that of a reef tank but I think for now going FOWLR is what we want to do. Being a FW nut our focus is more fish then reef. The fish that we are interested in are Chromis, I would love to have a nice school of them. Other fish that we like are Tangs (Blue and Yellow Hippo, Yellow, and Whitecheek). I am also interested in Puffers, Clowns (the kids would kill us if we set up a SW tank with no clowns lol) and I do have to say I am intrigued with Lionfish.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

From what I have heard, getting a school of chromis' to school is not that likely. I hear more negative than positive on the subject.

So, with a FOWLR, you can have any of those fish. Just not all. For example the Lionfish would eat the chromis (and the clown if it was small). So would the puffer.

You could have maybe two tangs in a 90g but that is pushing it. They cannot look alike, otherwise, they will fight. A hippo and a yellow would go together. But a sailfin and a yellow would not. You might be able to do a whitecheek and a yellow. I was going to try that. There are fish compatability charts out there that you can dig up on the Internet.

Yeah, I used to frequent quite a few LFSs in the area, but that was back in 1994-5 when I lived in Factoria. There was one in Renton, Redmond and the one I liked the most was in Issaquah. I don't know if it is the one you are visiting now. In '94 you took Exit 17 eastbound off I-90 and took a left. Then headed about a mile down the road and it was on the right hand side. Very dark with large tanks.

But now I live in Shelton and my choices are three. There is one in Silverdale (cheap and good). I go there 90% of the time (50 min each way). There is another in Lakewood, but the prices are really high. Another just opened up in Olympia and I have not been there yet. If the prices are right, that would be closest to me.

Oysterfest is this weekend at the fairgrounds. So I am going to go "work" the cubscout putt putt golf booth for a few hours and head to Silverdale and buy something.

1 person likes this.
  5. G&NSalty425

G&NSalty425 Plankton

Hmmm well I might have to do alot more reading on the Chromis. I know alot of people who say they have 2-3 and have issues but once you get a little more then 3 or even 5 they seem to settle in more as a school.

I know we won't be able to have all and that is good to find out they can't look alike lol.

I think the one you are talking about is the same one I think they have moved since you were last in there but they are all great people there who know there stuff.

6. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

1 person likes this.
  7. G&NSalty425

G&NSalty425 Plankton

That definitely looks like a good buy thanks for the heads up :)

8. Click Here!

9. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

10. G&NSalty425

G&NSalty425 Plankton

Thanks so much yeah digital is easier then testing. That is defintely something I will be getting is the refactometer. I am also keeping my eye out on craigslist (with the economy the way it is people are selling all sorts of stuff lol).

1 person likes this.
  11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I did a little researching and found that if the tester kit says it can be used in both FW and SW and is high range, Than yes, you can use it. Luna