Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Inuki, Jul 22, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=karlas link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=75#77 date=08/12/03 at 16:37:23]Thats odd normally water changes lower nitrates. Where are  you getting your water from? have you tested your source of water for  nitrates itself? test that and see what that reads[/quote]

I get my sea water from mixing the RED SEA salt. I did not test the new mix sea water before adding into my tank. I test it 7 days after adding it to my tank.

There are 4 readings for the test kit.
    1 & 2 level is safe
    3 is alert
    4 is the highest which goes to say it isn't safe

2. Click Here!

3. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=75#78 date=08/12/03 at 17:07:42]Yup, my name is Craig Manoukian Charmaine, very nice to make your acquaintance.  

Is your filter medium clean or it may be the source of your nitrates if it's not your water as karlas suggested.
    [/quote]

I just bought my canister filter not more then a week. The fish seller say wash the filter 2 weeks once.

If my nitrate is on the highest level, anemones and fishes are survive long right?

But my corals are doing well, my only clown fish is doing very fine. So what's my problem here. I really can't figure it out.

By the way, I bought a guide book which the fish seller say its suitable for beginners. I will post one topic everyday so that I can share with you guys what I have. ;D ;D

4. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

The Correct Aquarium Size & Optimum lighting

A basic rule for maintaining an aquarium is :- the larger the aquarium, the easier it is to maintain

Due to volume, the water parameters are more constant in a large aquarium than in smallers ones. Therefore, maintaining a large aquarium requires less work. Nevertheless it is possible to create good biological conditions in a 100 litre (25gal) aquarium. HOwever, any kind of maintenance mistakes will have severe effects

Almost all marine fish require a territory that is defended against intruders. Therefore, we recommend 200 litre (50gal) as a minimum size to keep several different species of fish together.

If a bio filter system (eg. trickle filter) is to be installed under the aquarium, you should have a sufficient overflow hole drilled as a water outlet.

The height possibilities of the aquarium mainly depend on the kind of lighting. If fluorescent tubes are used, the water depth must not exceed 50cm (20 in.) For deeper aquariums, metal halide bulbs (HQI) are recommended. Mercury vapour lights (HQL), used in freshwater aquariums, are not suitable for saltwater aquariums. This is due to the different light requirements of fresh water plants and ornamental sea algae

The aquarium should not be placed in direct sunlight, otherwise, the growth of unwanted algae will be uncontrollable.

The aquarium has to be placed on a suitable base (eg styrofoam or cork) to prevent the aquarium glass from cracking.

5. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

Filtration & Optimum filter media for a miniature coral reef.

The same as for the aquarium applies for the filter. The larger the better!!

A large filter requires less cleaning and provides more surface area for bacteria that break down waste products

The filter is divided into two sections. Solid waste particles are removed mechanically by the prefilter (eg sera biofilter firbres or sera filter wool). In the main filter, the indispendsable biological breakdown of waste products is achieved by nitrifying bacteria.

The prefilter has to be cleaned or replaced regualry in order to prevent water pollution by waste products (food leftovers, dead algae and to ensure a sufficient flow rate. In doing so, the filter media in the main filter will stay active for a longer time, and the bacteria living in the filter can break down the waste products such as ammonium and nitrite more effectively.

CLeaning the biofilter medai too frequently will deplete the resource of useful bacteria. Furthermore, these useful helpers regenerate much slower in saltwater than in fresh water. The sera Internal biofilter M has been developed to meet these demans. It is easily accessible from the top, so the prefilter can be changed without affecting the biologically active filter media. With its practical arrangement in three chambers, the filter offers the opportunity to use different filter media at the same time and quickly change individual components (eg sera super active filter carbon) without the need to dismantel the entire filter.

Porous ceramic material such as sera biopur provides enough surface area for the beneficial bacteria to prevent problems caused by ammonia and nitrite. The integrated surface skimmer of the sera internal biofilter M reliably removes organic waste and unwanted surface proten film. The sera aquarium heater thermostat is inserted into the filter. This prevents crawling animals (eg sea urchins or star fish from getting burned)

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i have been using the red sea salt myself without any problems. what i was talking about was your water before you mix your salt. whats your source of water before you mix it up. for example i cant use my water out of my sink i tested that as fresh water and the nitrates are 150+ plus all the other junk in it and that is just the fresh water, this is why i had to find another source

heck i dont even drink my water let alone give it to my fishies [smiley=LolLolLolLol.gif] [smiley=laughing016.gif]

7. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=karlas link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=75#84 date=08/14/03 at 09:41:04]i have been using the red sea salt myself without any problems. what i was talking about was your water before you mix your salt. whats your source of water before you mix it up. for example i cant use my water out of my sink i tested that as fresh water and the nitrates are 150+ plus all the other junk in it and that is just the fresh water, this is why i had to find another source

heck i dont even drink my water let alone give it to my fishies  [smiley=LolLolLolLol.gif] [smiley=laughing016.gif][/quote]

if tap water can't be use, what kind of water can I use? The people over here all use tap water to mix the salt even the fish seller also said this.

But my friend even better, she went to mix the salt we eat with tap water and pour it into her tank, her fishes are surviving well and good.

All these really puzzles me :eek: ::) :-/ :'( :eek: ::)

8. Click Here!

9. origin05

origin05 Plankton

Guys, Craig & Gresham,

my husband just post a new topic on set up for new tank, nick name Origin05. Hope you guys can help him too like how you have help me thanks alot

10. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey I wonder what ever happend to Inuki ? this post was one of the first ones I remember reading and seeing all the help you guys were offering sealed the deal on me joining!

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Good question Nugio. Inuki are you and your husband well? Keep us posted!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=75#88 date=01/28/04 at 07:34:05]Good question Nugio.  Inuki are you and your husband well?  Keep us posted![/quote]