Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Inuki, Jul 22, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

You say you are getting alge this happens with all new tanks its a thing they have to go through. Does  your alge look like this

ALGE .

you can add some snails and some crabs to help with this. also regular scheduled water changes can help to. its messy and a pain but every one gets it. be patient it will eventually go away as your tank get more stable

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Inuki,

A good skimmer will help your algae immensely along with the clean-up crew karlas suggested.

5 - 10 cm sandbed is good for your husband's tank along with 10 -15 kg of live rock.

4. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=karlas link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=60#70 date=08/10/03 at 09:36:04]You say you are getting alge this happens with all new tanks its a thing they have to go through. Does  your alge look like this

ALGE .

you can add some snails and some crabs to help with this. also regular scheduled water changes can help to. its messy and a pain but every one gets it. be patient it will eventually go away as your tank get more stable[/quote]

My Alge doesn't look red, it looks yellowish and well its yucky :p :p

Snails? Any name to it? Now my nitrate is so high, it isn't suitable for any livestock to be added in right?

And how long do I change my water? I don't mind changing every week or twice a week. Just don't know how long I should change it.

The first time I change away 1/4 of my water is on 2 August 2003. Should I change once a week or twice a week or.......... ;D :D :) ::) 8)

5. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=60#71 date=08/10/03 at 20:35:48]Inuki,

A good skimmer will help your algae immensely along with the clean-up crew karlas suggested.

5 - 10 cm sandbed is good for your husband's tank along with 10 -15 kg of live rock.
    [/quote]

Ok thanks a lot. I will let him know it. If live rocks is overloaded, what I mean is almost 3/4 of the tank is cover with liverocks, will it be BAD??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

IF too much live rocks in a tank, what will happen? Will it have bad effect or its fine?

6. Craig Manoukian

Just arrange the LR so there is good circulation.  10 - 15 kg won't be too much!

7. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=60#74 date=08/11/03 at 07:56:24]Just arrange the LR so there is good circulation.  10 - 15 kg won't be too much![/quote]

Understand ;D

By the way, what's your name? I am Charmaine.

Now what bothers me is my nitrate, is there anyway that I can decrease it? I have use medicine and changes of water, but still the nitrate is so HIGH :'( :'(

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

What medicine did you use? His handle, like mine, is his real name, Craig.

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

Thats odd normally water changes lower nitrates. Where are you getting your water from? have you tested your source of water for nitrates itself? test that and see what that reads

11. Craig Manoukian

Yup, my name is Craig Manoukian Charmaine, very nice to make your acquaintance.

Is your filter medium clean or it may be the source of your nitrates if it's not your water as karlas suggested.

12. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=75#76 date=08/12/03 at 10:16:30]What medicine did you use?  His handle, like mine, is his real name, Craig.[/quote]

Hi Gresham, its you again ;D ;) :D ::) :p

I guess this is the name :- CYCLE
    these are the wordings on the bottle

NUTRAFIN, biological aquarium supplement
    Super concentrated formula to keep aquariums healthy
    Powerful biological supplement which rapidly matures new aquariums and filters
    Beneficial bacteria consume ammonia and nitrite to prevent fish loss
    Quickly repairs filters damaged by medication or other treatments
    For fresh and saltwater use

Cycle Powerful Biological Supplement
    -Quickly creates a safe and healthy environment
    -One small does contains enough beneficial bacteria to rapidly consume ammonia and nitrite
    -safe for both plants, animals, it is impossible to overdose your aquarium

This is what it said.