Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Inuki, Jul 22, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Blue actinic lights along with regular or normal ouput (NO) lighting should be fine for most soft corals - mushrooms, zoanthids, and leathers.

If you want to keep hard corals - LPS and SPS - or clams, you will need to upgrade your lighting with Metal Halide lighting able to support all animals by providing the light necessary for photosynthesis.

If it were me, I'd start saving my pennies and get the Red Sea skimmer. You will be very glad you did as it will serve you in the future when you get a bigger tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I agree, save your money for a better skimmer.  As for lighting, VHO flourescent and Power Compacts are fine for the less light demanding lps and sps.  I've grown some really nice sps under both.  The glitter lines (like rays of sunlight) Metal Halides produce are bar non the nicest though.

I've read thru this long thread (now aproaching trilogy status) and now I just forgot a few of your details.  I've got a few questions to help me remember what I've read, and some that will help me better help you.  How long has your tank been going now, how many water changes have you preformed and did you cleaned your canister filter media, or your pre-filter yet? What model/brand of canister filter are you using and what media is packed inside?

I suspect your getting some extra nitrites and nitrates from both your canister filter and the pre-filter.  Adding a protein skimmer will aid greatly in reducing both of those for you, but weekly you will still need to clean your prefilter weekly and your filter media every 2 month(unless theres a continual problem with nitrites and nitrates) or so (do it in stages, never clean all your filter media at once and use de-chlorinated water to clean it with---also, never clean your filter when preforming a water change, give it at least 2 weeks)  In the long run, I'd add more live rock, ditch the canister filter and add a skimmer.  No matter what you do filtration wise though, your still are never going to be able to keep all those fish in a 30g aquarium.   Learning your tanks limitations is the best thing you can do for total over all aquarium health in both short and long term.  The waste produced by you selection, not to mention other toxins, would soon lead to death of your tanks inhabitants.  Another factor is corals don't like high nutrients and those fish are going to produce a high nutrients situation.

One thing I haven't seen any one mention is letting your Red Sea Salt to mix with you dechlorinated water for at least a day with a power head or airstone for aeriation.  Adding freshly mixed salt water is like pouring acid in your fishes gills and all over your corals, not good.

I'm glad you have taken such a keen interest in reef keeping.  Your openness with questions and your willingness to to learn and listen will bring you far in this hobby.  Its done so for me.  Several people have mentioned this as well, I think getting a good reefkeeping book would help you out.  I have read almost every book in print concerning this hobby and I have to say, there are tons of really good books around.  Almost all will help lead you to success.  

Could you find a contact name for the "Orca" skimmer you were looking at? A manufacturer, a website, any contact info would be very helpful.  Are there other products made by that company that you've seen.  I'm interested in its specs, price doesn't always reflect quality.  You may have a locally produced skimmer that is manufactured for a foriegn company for a foreign market.  Some one could be using the molds to produce ones for local consumption and selling them dirt cheap to the stores, or the stores are allowed to buy them direct from the factory at a super low cost.  I wouldn't discount any of these theorys, I've seen them all.  Before buying the Prizm, try to get me some more info on the 'orca".

Keep on with the questions, knowledge is key. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=60#61 date=08/08/03 at 02:05:55]I agree, save your money for a better skimmer.  As for lighting, VHO flourescent and Power Compacts are fine for the less light demanding lps and sps.  I've grown some really nice sps under both.  The glitter lines (like rays of sunlight) Metal Halides produce are bar non the nicest though.

I've read thru this long thread (now aproaching trilogy status) and now I just forgot a few of your details.  I've got a few questions to help me remember what I've read, and some that will help me better help you.  How long has your tank been going now, how many water changes have you preformed and did you cleaned your canister filter media, or your pre-filter yet?  What model/brand of canister filter are you using and what media is packed inside?

I suspect your getting some extra nitrites and nitrates from both your canister filter and the pre-filter.  Adding a protein skimmer will aid greatly in reducing both of those for you, but weekly you will still need to clean your prefilter weekly and your filter media every 2 month(unless theres a continual problem with nitrites and nitrates) or so (do it in stages, never clean all your filter media at once and use de-chlorinated water to clean it with---also, never clean your filter when preforming a water change, give it at least 2 weeks)  In the long run, I'd add more live rock, ditch the canister filter and add a skimmer.  No matter what you do filtration wise though, your still are never going to be able to keep all those fish in a 30g aquarium.   Learning your tanks limitations is the best thing you can do for total over all aquarium health in both short and long term.  The waste produced by you selection, not to mention other toxins, would soon lead to death of your tanks inhabitants.  Another factor is corals don't like high nutrients and those fish are going to produce a high nutrients situation.

One thing I haven't seen any one mention is letting your Red Sea Salt to mix with you dechlorinated water for at least a day with a power head or airstone for aeriation.  Adding freshly mixed salt water is like pouring acid in your fishes gills and all over your corals, not good.

I'm glad you have taken such a keen interest in reef keeping.  Your openness with questions and your willingness to to learn and listen will bring you far in this hobby.  Its done so for me.  Several people have mentioned this as well, I think getting a good reefkeeping book would help you out.  I have read almost every book in print concerning this hobby and I have to say, there are tons of really good books around.  Almost all will help lead you to success.  

Could you find a contact name for the "Orca" skimmer you were looking at?  A manufacturer, a website, any contact info would be very helpful.  Are there other products made by that company that you've seen.  I'm interested in its specs, price doesn't always reflect quality.  You may have a locally produced skimmer that is manufactured for a foriegn company for a foreign market.  Some one could be using the molds to produce ones for local consumption and selling them dirt cheap to the stores, or the stores are allowed to buy them direct from the factory at a super low cost.  I wouldn't discount any of these theorys, I've seen them all.  Before buying the Prizm, try to get me some more info on the 'orca".

Keep on with the questions, knowledge is key.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif][/quote]

My tank has been more then a month, I just changed 1/4 of my water recently and its the first time I changed my water. My tank now contains only live rocks and corals. No livestocks yet as I know my water isnt' ready. I only put up the rock formation and wait to test for nitrates. As my ammonia is fine. I just bought my canister filter on wed, brand is JEBO, something like this.

Another factor is corals don't like high nutrients and those fish are going to produce a high nutrients situation..........I don't understand this part? Are you saying I can't buy fishes??

You are new here? I never see you before. But I am glad you pop by and help me too ;D ;D I often ask questions, sometimes don't dare to ask too much, afraid that I might get scolded :p :p

I will find more about the orca and let you know. But before I am able to find a skimmer, guys here told me to change the water frequently to maintain it. But after I get a skimmer, I still can keep the canister filter right?

Cause a canister filter is different from a skimmer, am I right? And its quite hard for me to find a suitable skimmer, cause my fish tank has a cover on it. Its not open air. Most of the skimmer I see are stick on to the side of the tank, which mine can't cause of the cover.

5. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=Inuki link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=60#62 date=08/08/03 at 07:58:33]

After I get a skimmer, I still can keep the canister filter right?

Cause a canister filter is different from a skimmer, am I right? And its quite hard for me to find a suitable skimmer, cause my fish tank has a cover on it. Its not open air. Most of the skimmer I see are stick on to the side of the tank, which mine can't cause of the cover.
    [/quote]

Yes you can keep your filter along with a skimmer, and yes you will have a tough time finding a skimmer that your hood will accomodate. How handy is your husband with tools so he can modify your set-up to be able to have a skimmer?

:) ;) :D ;D :eek: 8) ::)

6. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=60#63 date=08/08/03 at 12:29:15]

Yes you can keep your filter along with a skimmer, and yes you will have a tough time finding a skimmer that your hood will accomodate.  How handy is your husband with tools so he can modify your set-up to be able to have a skimmer?

[/quote]

My mum will think of a way, sometimes I don't let my husband handle it is because I want him to spend time with me ;D :p ::) :D ;)

By the way, is it possible to have a tank of corals and fishes and with NO live rocks??? :eek: :eek:

And for small tanks, is it a must to have a protein skimmer?

7. Craig Manoukian

A protein skimmer is a must for any tank that is going to have any sizeable bioload from fish.

You can have a tank with corals only with no skimmer if you have enough mechanical and biofiltration.

Live rock and live sand provide bio filtration which is beneficial to fish and corals.

Why don't you and your husband work together on the skimmer project, might be romantic, eh?

8. Click Here!

9. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=60#65 date=08/08/03 at 17:20:37]A protein skimmer is a must for any tank that is going to have any sizeable bioload from fish.  

You can have a tank with corals only with no skimmer if you have enough mechanical and biofiltration.

Live rock and live sand provide bio filtration which is beneficial to fish and corals.

Why don't you and your husband work together on the skimmer project, might be romantic, eh?
    [/quote]

Just went with him to buy a bigger tank. The new tank measurement is (the seller told me its a 2ft tank) :-

Length 60cm
    width 29cm
    Height 44.5cm

1. Roughly what is the height of the sand I must have?

2. How many KG of rocks I must have this time. That time for my tank (which is 3ft) you told me I need 16 - 20kg of live rocks. But now for my husband tank, I have no idea the estimation KG of live rocks I must have. Sorry to bother you again. I know you have to spend time with your wife instead of answering my troublesome questions ;D ::) :-/ ::) ;D

3. I tried to find Carib Live Sand, but here don't sell. They only have what they call sea sand, should be ok for marine life. Since everyone is using and no complains or whatever.

4. I found a few brands of canister filter, need to have advice on which is good and whether have you heard of this brand

a. Jebao (the one I am using, not bad, my water is so clear) S$100
    b. Dolphine S$128
    c. Eheim Professional II S$294
    d. Dymax S$140
    e. Eheim Classic S$167
    f. Matrix S$135

As for the stage of setting up the tank, I know how to cause I have the knowledge you guys gave to me ;D ;D :D ;) :p ::) 8) :) ;)

I am really happy to be here, glad that I found this website and I get to know a few friends here. ;D ;D

10. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=Inuki link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=60#66 date=08/08/03 at 21:42:00]

Just went with him to buy a bigger tank. The new tank measurement is (the seller told me its a 2ft tank) :-

Length 60cm
    width 29cm
    Height 44.5cm[/quote]

The dimensions you gave me calculate to 77,430 cubic CM and that converts to just a 20 gallon tank. Are you sure your dimensions are correct. I would geta tank with double those dimensions if you are looking for alarger tank for your husband.

Get back to me and I'll answer your sand and live rock questions once we are sure of your tank size.

11. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1058880761;start=60#67 date=08/09/03 at 12:23:33]

The dimensions you gave me calculate to 77,430 cubic CM and that converts to just a 20 gallon tank.  Are you sure your dimensions are correct.  I would geta tank with double those dimensions if you are looking for alarger tank for your husband.  

Get back to me and I'll answer your sand and live rock questions once we are sure of your tank size.

[/quote]

We have already bought the tank, its a 2 feet tank. The measurements I gave you are a rough measure I get from the ruler. Cause his room don't have enough space for bigger fish tank as too much cupboards.

Anything wrong with the size of my husband tank? Too small?

12. Inuki

Inuki Astrea Snail

Guys, one more thing, my tank glass is fill with stains, yucky, are those what you call algae or ..........

I used the magnet to clean, the cleaness only last for a while, but the dirt falls onto my sand in the tank, making it so yellow and dirty. Is there anyway to clean it and make it much cleaner?

The magnet seems useless.