"Heatwave"

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Bunner, Jun 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dahos

dahos Feather Duster

great comment Doug.

I think "heatwave" describes this thread as well as the problem.

Not everyone can predict everything that will happen to their tanks, even though we all try. that is why the emergency fund is a great idea. I have always been glad to have this forum as a place to go to get not only helpful but truthful answers. this person obviously came to us for help because they were concerned.

I dont think there are many reasons someone should give up a hobby they love because they come across a challenge. i just hope when i run into issues others can help through their experience and if possible i will give the same in return.

if they had not come for help and just let everything die without a care then i agree that maybe they should not continue but they did ask for our help...

i am concerned about the heat of my tank too, although it has not gotten that high yet, and also am not paying $500 minumum for a chiller. i am currently looking into a diy chiller using an old mini fridge i have, until then i have several coke bottles in the freezer waiting to be used if needed.

i wish you luck in cooling your tank and hope nothing is negatively impacted by this.

2. Click Here!

3. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Bunner, I think you'd be very hard pressed to find a forum that doesn't have at least a couple people who will speak their mind in their own terms to the extent that someone will take offense. The Internet is a BIG place, and the anonymity doesn't make matters any better.

I've only been here for like 2 months and found this to be a very relaxed, encouraging, and helpful group over all. The adage that one bad apple spoils the bunch isn't true or apples and it certainly isn't true of forums.

I hope you've managed to get your temps under control with no major losses. It sounds like plenty of other people have been in this situation before and are trying to help you. Suggesting that you'd ignore that help in the face of one offensive post is sort of disrespectful of the rest of us who are wanting to help.

Also, an above post seems to suggest evaporative cooling cant lower the tank below ambient, that's simply not true. Depending on the relative humidity evap cooling can lower temps 20 degrees or more. I do it every day w/ a swamp cooler. The draw back is evaporation, which without constant topping off can result in salinity swings that may also stress the tank.

I'd never suggest someone just throw in the towel over one headache, but I am a big proponent of responsible animal keeping no matter the species. With a baby on the way it might be time to consider priorities both familial and financial and decide for yourself what if anything needs to happen. I doubt you haven't already considered this many times already, just stating the obvious.

Anyways, I'm sure the tank issue has you stressed enough without our "help" so just marinate on the advice here and take it for what it is: free.

And for those of us who do care, how is the tank doing today?

1 person likes this.
  4. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Here in Mobile yesterday it was 101 deg.. Heat index 110..
    The room with my tank isn't real cool.. I still have to keep an eye on my heat..

Not all of us came into this with alot of money. And as we went along we done upgrades..
    I think it's very unfair, and not what this Fourm is about..
    It want happen, BUT if my tank got alot hotter, I can't afford a chiller..
    And I came on here for help. ( which is what we're about )..
    If some one DARED to tell me ... well maybe you should never have started in SaltWater..

1st, I would say.. if you can't help.. don't post in this thread..
    2nd.. I would tell them to kiss my A$$ ..!!!!

I have always been for the under dog, and always will be..
    People up north arn't set up for the heat like us..
    Down here we're not set up for the cold like them..
    Last winter, I had to use an elc heater on the floor in front of my tank a few nights. Due to a heater problem, no money at the time.. But I made it..

People look for help here, if we can't help.. Stay out of it..
    This isn't aimed at ANYONE,, So don't get me wrong..

I bet next year he'll be ready for high heat.. just like I'll be ready for cold this winter..

He just wanted HELP to make it thru this killer heat.. And I really like the bucket idea..
    But I really think he needs a used Window AC Unit.....
    Good Luck, Larry

2 people like this.
  5. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

The tank is fine, thanks for asking. This is the third day at AROUND 86-90...

everything in the tank is fine and no deaths yet. Im trying to jimmy rig my old ac unit for now.

I did some reading and its not the end of the world but it could cause problems...

6. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Have you been doing the frozen water bottles? Even the LFS I go to does that when it gets above 85.

Once you get the temp down the fans on the surface will keep it down much better.

7. Pip Logan

Pip Logan Feather Duster

This has been a helpful thread. Im going to start using the water bottle thing for my hot days lol. This site is the best every one keep it up! Its like a family we all have our tiffs but the love is still there :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I love America !!! Even the most bright and most dumb people are entitled to an opinion. The only difference is those places can change in a split second. But to stick to the point, I would go for the window a/c. Mostly cause it would make sense to buy an a/c unit and cool a room, rather than a fridge and hose, or buckets, hoses, ice, pumps. Plus the misses might appreciate it also. A window unit was one of the first things we bought when our son came home. Just keep your priorities in order, good luck.

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

not saying a word here but my fish are sitting at a comfy 79 degrees with 800 watts of sps 14k mh blastin down on them. Why, because I don't want to lose thousands worth of sps and chalice.

11. Molly2005

Molly2005 Plankton

Reduce your lighting period during the peak hours of heat. Like others said, use a fan to blow across the water surface. Lastly, use plastic water bottles and freeze until you have a solid block of frozen water. I find that the Gatorade G2 bottles work the best.

The thicker plastic from the G2 bottle has better insulating properties, which means the frozen water does not melt as fast.

I've practice all three of these methods for years and it works wonders, during those warm days.

Randy

12. dublinur

dublinur Astrea Snail

the wall unit or window unit ac is the best way to go....i dont use a chiller....but i use the wall unit....they will chill a 15x15 room to 65 easily for 100 dollars at walmart ...and they are not as bad on the electric bill as lights are....
    honestly i understand this issue more than most folks on this site...no disrespect to anyone,,,,,,,,BUT

I LIVE IN PHOENIX ARIZONA>>>>>100 at night 110+ during most of the summerdays..
    and its almost never under 85 here....heater whats that....

trust me wall unit.....almost everyone in phoenix has one in their garage....