Heaters-which ones?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by beamer, Feb 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

Right on Sea..... :)

T

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Hey Cindy! I have a 120g and use a won pro heat 300w heater and it keeps my tank at a constant 79F with out any problems and I live in Minnesota where its cold. DO NOT get the digital won heaters. These are the ones with the major problems. I've talked to many retailers and most only carry the non digital heaters because they are more reliable.

4. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks Raven! Really? I've about come to the conclusion that all have the potential to stick. I don't understand why a digital would be more prone to sticking. Could you fill me in here? I had pretty much decided to go with the 250 won digital and a 200 won without digital. I do know for sure that I will have two in my tank as a safety factor.

Cindy

5. Black_Raven

Cindy, I can,t tell you exactly why the digital won's are unreliable, but the fact that most of the retailers that used to carry them said they had lots of returns on them due to problems. I have heard that the digital readouts are inaccurate many times and that they tend to overheat your tank. I only use 1 heater in my tank but I have one of those digital thermometers that has a high and low temp alarm, they are well worth the $30. The temp in my tank never varies 0.5F. I also have a back up heater if the main 1 fails but I dont keep it in the tank. Already have too many damn powercords as it is. If you go with 1 heater I would get the 350w won, but 2 heaters are probably better. Of course there is always the problem of 1 heater breaking and over heating the tank. Thats the risk with any heater and you are doubling your chances of that happening.

6. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

The reason they stuck was due to a bad circuit board in the digital. The problem has been corrected. It was 1 specific batch that had this problem and no others. I would still stay away from it as you do not need it with a reliable thermometer anyway. Extra $10 or so for nothing in my opinion. I would still go bigger than the 200w Cindy. Less time to heat the water and less stress on the heater to maintain the temp. You have 120g plus whatever in your sump. I would go minimum 350w. My tank would however have the 500w. Just my opinion is all.

T

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Raven, I do like the idea of the digital thermomter that you use especially with the alarm.

What I'm using in my tank now is a 200 watt Jebo . I'd been using it for the salt water in my trash can.

I'll just sleep on it tonight and then decide. I worry about the higher wattage in case it sticks, but I also like the idea of the higher wattage because it is more efficient. I don't necessarily care to have another cord under my cabinet. There's too many as it is and I'm fixing to had more with a new controller I'm getting in for my Tunze Streams.

Thanks for all of the input.

Cindy

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Cindy, If you go with 2 heaters plce 1 in the sump and 1 in the tank, that way if the return pump to the sump goes out you will still have heat for the main tank.  I have a few friends who run their tanks this way and have not had any problems.  By the way, the name of my digital thermometer is the Big Temp alert and can be found at the usual online stores.  I'm sure it will be fine whatever you do.

10. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=RAVEN link=board=General;num=1107357972;start=15#26 date=02/03/05 at 23:16:18]  By the way, the name of my digital thermometer is the Big Temp alert and can be found at the usual online stores.  I sure it will be fine whatever you do.
    [/quote]

I love my big temp alert....well worth every penny, so you know theres a problem as soon as it occurs.

11. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I'm definately going with the Big Temp Alert and I think I'll get maybe the 300 pro heat by won without the digital and I think that will take care of me just fine. If I decide to put a second one in I'll just use the spare one I have. Actually I have 2 older spare ones, both Jebo that I use for my salt water mixes here and at the office.