Heaters-which ones?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by beamer, Feb 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I need to order a new heater today for my 120gl reef. I had been using the Won but it went out on me. I will probably order another unless ya'll have some different opionion. I also need to get one for the QT tank. I may just use a Ebo Jager for it.

With these heaters does it matter if they are standing up or laying down in the sump? I can't remember which brand it was but a while back for that particular one they reccomended that you didn't lay it horizontally in the sump only vertical. Does it really matter?

How many of you guys use two heaters in your tanks and how do you have those set up?

Cindy

2. Click Here!

3. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I see a won proheat II that has a digital readout. Is it worth the extra money.

What wattage do I need to have for 120gl. I've thrown the old one away I'm not sure but I think it was a 250.

Cindy

4. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I would go with the WON 500w. The digital readout is a nice benny, but not necessary if you have a thermometer in the tank already. I use the 350w on my 75g and have not had any problems. Captivereefs, our sponsor, sells the 500w for around $50 last time I checked.

T

5. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks Poppy, so you would use just one heater and not two?

I think you are right, I'll just use the one with out the readout.

Cindy

6. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I would have a second as a back up. WHat I do with mine...should have mentioned this before sorry....

I use 2 350w. 1 is set at my ideal temp I like to keep. The second is set 1/2 degree lower in case the first goes out for whatever reason. Also by setting it lower, I do not have to worry about both coming on at the same time and overheating the tank. The 1/2 degree usually will be enough to avoid any currents that might come by the probe that may be a bit lower than the temp set for the first heater.

Hope that helps,

T

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.

How about placement? Do you keep them side by side or in different parts of the sump?

Cindy

8. Click Here!

9. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

I have a DIY refugium for my tank. I keep them on opposite sides of the fuge. I also placed the probes in the return section on opposite sides. That way the probes are at least 12 inches from the heater to obtain accurate function of the heater, and the probes are far enough apart also. I have them laying down horizontal also length wise along the fuge.

T

10. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Sounds good! Thanks a bunch!

Cindy

11. Poppy828

Poppy828 Fire Shrimp

No problem.

Glad I could help,

T

12. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

[quote author=Poppy828 link=board=General;num=1107357972;start=0#8 date=02/02/05 at 13:00:25]No problem.

Glad I could help,

T[/quote]

Karma to you poppy!