Heater recommendation

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Piano10, Mar 9, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Hi all,

Well I need to replace a heater, I think.

In my 10g im I am using a hydor heater. I don't like it. Its set at 74 and my tank is 82 today. Room temp is 72.

The heater was just on and yet my temp had not dropped. We want the tank at 79.

Anyone have any suggestions or a heeater thats good at maintaining the temp?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. DustinB32

DustinB32 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hydor heaters are junk. I have had 3 fail. I've had good luck with visi therm heaters under 150 watts but 200 watts and above not so much. But I recommend jager heaters. That's all I use now.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. MarineDepot

MarineDepot 3reef Sponsor

Eheim Jager are our customers favorite heaters so far in 2016 by a wide margin, followed by Via Aqua, Cobalt Aquatics and JBJ.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

+2 Been using Jager heaters for many moons and they are very reliable.Just keep in mind ALL heaters will need to be calibrated to some extent as they rarely heat to the specified temp.:eek:

Piano10 and MarineDepot like this.
  6. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I have the jager in my 15g. You are so right about calibration! 3 times so far:confused:

I didn't see any instructions for calibration with the hydor but I am not happy with it.

Time to be replaced

7. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I like the ViaAqua Titanium and have used the regular ones as well with no issues. I have about 5 or 6 of these heaters on hand and if i end up needing another heater it will probably be a ViaAqua again.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would definitely replace it ASAP. You should only need to calibrate it once.

Piano10 and mdbostwick like this.
  10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

The jager the was calibrated 3 times was cause it was done wrong the first time and it was just getting that soft spot. It works great now. Steady 80.5-81.5 never changes:)

The hydor is not recommended i've used cheapy heaters with more accurate results.
    Heater set at 74 yet my tank was at 80 and at 82 it was still coming on!
    My new jagger just arrived:)