Heater placement in sump question

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Stammer, Sep 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I have always had freshwater with my heaters in the tank. I will be converting to a saltwater tank with a sump filtration system. I have read where many people place their heaters right in the sump. Wouldn't this cause the heater to run almost constantly because of the constant flow and reintroduction of cooler tank water? I realize it is all the same water but isn't that why you buy a certain wattage of heater per gallon tank size for when the heater is in the tank, but my sump is significantly smaller capacity than my main tank.??? Wouldn't this mean you are using more electricity($) than necessary? Help me understand this!

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

The volume of water and its ability to retain heat will ensure that with the right size heater and adequate flow, the entire system will maintain a constant temperature, regardless where the heater is placed.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I agree with Mr. Bill all the way. You also mentioned buying certain wattage of heater per gallon tank size, so make sure you go with total volume of water and not the DT. It is the same concept.

5. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

When buying a heater I prefer to think about the required temperature change between ambient and where you want the temperature in the tank to be, not a watts/gallon rule.

6. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

OK, I was thinking along those lines that the total gallons per wattage is what matters but I just had a hard time thinking that the fish tank is going to drop temperature quicker without a heater element actually in the tank. I plan on trying to lay my heater in the sump tank. Thanks for the replies.:)

7. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I prefer to use 2 smaller heaters then one large heater. It gives me one more fail safe =-)