Heater Malfunction

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mdbostwick, Feb 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I didn't put this in ASAP because I am at work and won't urgently be able to do anything. So I have 2 heaters in my sump one is a ViaAqua titanium and the other is ?Mystery? brand heater. As cold as it has been i have had both heaters running in my sump and i think today one must have bit the dust. I went and checked on things when i woke up and my tank was at 73. The ViaAqua was warm when i touched it but the other was not any warmer than the water. I was unable to get a replacement today and was only able to supplement with a 50w that was in my, thankfully empty, QT tank.

My question, is there anything else I can do until i get a replacement for the second heater? I don't think the ViaAqua is doing a bad job and the probe it has is in the drain portion of my sump and the heater in the return section and the water has to travel a good 40ft both ways. I am hoping that some of the lower temp is caused by the drain trip but do you think the ViaAqua should be able to keep up? I am no pro with heaters and honestly know next to nothing about them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

only thought I have is move heater to display tank unit you get replacement... pssst buy 2 more :)

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

73 is low, I would get a replacement.

mdbostwick likes this.
  5. mdbostwick

I ordered replacements a few hours ago, and yes i did get 2. I'm not gonna lie, the price was good enough i thought about buying 3.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I assume it's cranked up to the max?

7. mdbostwick

The 50w? You bet!

So how are my coral going to respond to the temp lowering like this? Any suggestions on anything I can do?

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

Update: With the 50w the tank is at 76 and I can't say that it will have been any higher than that or how long it has been this high. Do I need to make the temperature change slower than this? I didn't really think the 50w would warm it this much.

Polyps on my sps are extended as they usually are. Hopefully they aren't too pissed for the temp drop.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

At 76, they're fine.

mdbostwick likes this.
  11. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Agreed 76 shouldn't be an issue. I keep my tank at 77 in the winter. There are more and more people keeping their tanks at lower temps.

mdbostwick likes this.
  12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Mine swings from 76-80 daily.

At one point, it was 74 most mornings.

mdbostwick likes this.