Heater in the sump?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by jbraslins, Dec 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

I am upgrading from 55g narrow to 135g cube. This will be my first tank with a sump. Before I've done hang-on stuff only.

The sump is pretty big. It's actually a 30x30x18 tank with compartments for skimmer, return, fuge and top-off reservoir.

Question are:

- Do I still need heaters in DT? Or can I put heater in sump only?
    - Which compartment does heater go into?
    - What heater(s) would you recommend for setup of above size?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

The sump is where I put my heater. I've got a fuge compartment and it's in there. My thermostat is placed at my drain, figuring that's the coldest part of my tank before it goes back down toward the heater. I keep the heater at 78, and my temp in the DT generally stays around 76-77.5.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Lots of possibilities, Most put their stuff like heaters, etc, in the sump if they have one.

Be careful if you have an acryllic, or even a platic sump like mine.

I've read several posts of people doing water changes, forgetting to turn off their heater(s), and burn a hole thru the wall whnen the water level is down!

It's rare, but it's happened more than once.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have two heaters in my 55; both in my sump. One is in the first section (skimmer), the other is in the second (refugium). More due to space constraints than anything, otherwise I would prefer them both in the same section. Both are controlled off of my controller (temp taken from my overflow). Both turn off during water changes :)

Edit: The biggest concern is that if your return pump ever failed, you would not heat the DT, just the sump.

6. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Answers:

- Put your heaters in the sump.
    -I'd put it in the section that your return pump is in or anywheres you have room.
    -The size of heaters you'd need would be 250-300Watt.