Heater in the overflow?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by SaltyClown, Dec 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

My heater might be too big for how I want to build my sump. This may be a dumb question but, have any of you put the heater in your overflow? Mines a 75 RR tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

I've seen it done, but it doesn't seem to be the common choice. Probably not an efficient place since that overflow will get/stay warm quicker (small volume of water) than the display and sump. But that's really just an educated guess...

What size heater are you using that won't fit in your sump?

4. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Aqueon Pro 250, it's much longer than I thought it would be.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I would avoid putting it in your overflow at all costs. Not only would be inefficient, but I would be afraid of it being on once you turn your return pump off and would run "dry", overheat, and break.

You could instead get a Jager 200W, which is only 15". And you only need 13-14" actually submerged. I have mine in my sump at a 45° angle to keep it underwater.

6. azjohnny

azjohnny Bristle Worm

I have a 250 watt Ebo Jaeger in the overflow only for the winter time, its warm enough in the house I don't need a heater the rest of the year

7. lionfish77

lionfish77 Flamingo Tongue

Most of my detritus collects in my overflow only showing lack of water flow below the intake pipe.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

My personal preference is to have the heater in the DT. Otherwise, should the return pump fail while you're away, only the sump would be heated. I know the main idea is to get all of the equipment possible out of sight and the majority have had no issues, but I like to err on the side of caution; There have been tanks that have crashed simply because the heater (and/or controller probe) was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

JM2C

10. Tidetraveller

Tidetraveller Astrea Snail

I keep a second heater in the overflow also but like above only during the winter months.

11. Ben Wehr

Ben Wehr Astrea Snail

No

Dispite what it would seem There isn't very good flow around the heating element. You want alot of flow to pass over the heater. Also it'd be best to have it where you can see it and where it's easily accessable

12. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

This is why I have 2 return pumps ;) Well, that and it was much cheaper than getting one larger. If both go out, it's almost certainly because the power is out.

I'd also personally return it for the above reasons and just get 2 smaller ones or something.

1 person likes this.