Heater exploded while cooking LR

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by saz125g, Jan 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

No, many organics can stick to the rock and will not be removed by water. Also, certain metals can bind to the point where the only way to remove them quickly is with a fairly strong acid. So, it's not about killing so much as removing contaminants which can cause algae and other issues latter.

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Your welcome, got to make sure the cycle continues ;) most of us learned from others at one point (and still are :) ).

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I'm curious to see if this is a stealth heater.

5. MickyB

MickyB Astrea Snail

Thanks very much, that makes more sense to me now.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Marineland to stop selling some Stealth Pro Heaters, investigate quality issues

here's an article with a phone number and listing of heaters recalled! I'd be calling them and asking for some new live rock! IMO! Good luck!

This link says they have copper in them and has more info what to do about!
    It blew this guys glass top off!

Exploding Marineland Stealth Pro Heaters

It also says to send an estimate of fish lost for a claim so hopefully that means it would cover your rock too!

Alot of info out there if ya google it!
    Good luck

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

BTW try to save as much of the heater as you can, there are numbers in a few places that will help!

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

10. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Interesting result today i went to Marineland's web page and none of them are up.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I am thinking the same thing. I want to know what was going on here in the first place - out of my own curiosity. I think it being the brand it is didn't help, but I would think you run this risk with any heater.

Personally, I wouldn't use it. I know it's a lot...

Due to the metals that are potentially there you'd have to do acid treatment and, for me personally, I'd rather buy 125lbs again than mess with that. But that's just me.

Right. Also (as khowst mentioned and above poster alluded to) the point is to sterilize it. FW would certainly kill most (not all) organics, but then that crap would be stuck in the tiny pores of the rock rotting and releasing nasties.

But in this thread case, there is also the new problem of potential metal contamination - which sterilizing won't help. Acid is needed for that.

12. saz125g

saz125g Astrea Snail

sadly..I am going to have to agree with the last post. I think I am going to just buy new LR. This could be too much hassle. I am all for putting in my time for the hobby but I just really dont want to risk it.

I wish I would have saved the broken heater. I tossed it without thinking about being litigeous;)

Anyways, I didnt loose anything but the LR and I had a few pieces in the DT. I will just replace slowly and pick wisely. Thanks all!!