Heater Blew Up Killed Inverts

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Mobalized, Nov 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Did the corals open back up?

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

A ground probe might come in handy as well. I use them in every tank to be safe. Sorry to hear.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Do some water changes and get some Cuprisorb, you will likely have copper contamination if you didn't get it out immediately as some of the internals are copper.

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

sorry to hear about this..........i hate heaters!!!
    Like said above, GFCI and what you already are doing. But I also agree with doing some cuprisorb as some might have leached out when the heater broke. Hope all gets better soon

6. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

Well I had 2 of the 6 cone astrea snails survive, both conchs are alive, the blasto is looking better, mushrooms are good, fish are good. The asterina snails are repopulating, same with bristle worms. The pink lemonade is dying.

7. arrivalanche

arrivalanche Bristle Worm

8. Click Here!

9. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Hope everything pulls through. Like previously said, run some carbon to absorb anything that has leached into your tank.

Definitely DO NOT use a grounding probe. Now that the heater is removed, doesn't really matter. Electric potential is not deadly, the current caused from it is what kills. In the tank, there is no where for the current to go, so all is well. When there is a grounding probe, the current has somewhere to go and that is bad.

10. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

While i agree with you that for fish potential is better than current, for humans its far more dangerous. I value my life and life of my family more. I say run a grounding probe and gfci just for this reason. Putting your hand in the tank that has 120v of potential sure could make for some fun.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. mikekx65

mikekx65 Skunk Shrimp

Do you know why the heater blew up? Guess I should look into setting up a gfci outlet just for this reason.

12. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Agree 100%. Grounding probes seem to be marketed towards livestock safety, but they are all about human safety. As you said, coupling GFCI and a grounding probe is a good idea.

I said to not use a grounding probe because I'm pretty sure Mobalized is not using GFCI yet. Using GFCI is a good idea with or without a grounding probe. But if you are going to run a grounding probe, GFCI is a must. I didn't want him to just throw in a grounding probe and think that was it.

Like jbraslins said, sticking your hand in a tank with 120v is not going to be fun. Lot of factors will determine how much current will flow. But if there is a grounding probe without GFCI, current will be moving and there is nothing to cut the power as it starts flowing through you.