Heat

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by PGodin, Apr 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PGodin

PGodin Plankton

Hi Everyone,

I'm on day 10 of cycling on my new tank. Everything is going well except for water temp. Last week temp was around 80 most of the week even though I'm not running the lights yet. Today was a warm day in the Northeast hittng a high in the 90's. My tank has gone up to 83 degrees. :-[

I have a little giant pump that is handling the return flow sitting below the tank in an enclosed stand. I also have a sea clone 100 sitting in the sump powered by a maxijet 1200. In the tank I have 2 maxijet 1200's providing water movement. I've taking the heater completely out of the tank.

When I open the stand, I detect a drastic difference in tempature. I'm thinking that I may need to cut a couple of holes and put in some fans. I plan to add a couple of fans to the canopy soon as well.

I'm hoping I don't need to add a chiller. What are your thoughts on this temp problem?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcom PGodin!

You don't need to take your heater out as long as it is set for 80 degrees or less. If you want a reef tank 80 degrees is a good temp. 83 degrees is not out of the range for warmer reef temps which can range up to 84 degrees.

Fans should be your next project and if they can't handle the summer heat then a chiller would be the next step.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Salutations PGodin...

Don't quite know your setup...if both sump and canopy closed, some fans a must, and may be all you need living in NE...

I did same, adding 4 large size (quiet) computer fans which I have hooked up to a thermostat. - cools off temp in a hurry when needed.

Living in PNW, really high temperatures not all that common...but when they do occur, I would rather opt for a room air-conditioner rather then a tank chiller. Much cheaper, and keeps me "comfortable" also... 8)

Does sound like you guys over there having an unusual heat wave...Maybe something we are all going to have to start making allowances for.

Good luck,

OmarD