Heard a great rumor about Clear FX pro and how awesome it is!....

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by cosmo, Jun 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I find that a little bit of an insult.Creative marketing writing is not what piqued our interest,it was rather word of mouth about how good this product is.

Even Vinny's summary from Randy said in the first sentence that he wasn't sure what it was,although he did have some great insights on it and what he thought it was.How do we know that it's not something new,new creations happen everyday.

And is it wrong that "us hobbiest" ,that are not chemist,scientist or work in the leading edge of the industry,want to know what we put into our tanks?

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I am sorry you feel isulted, that was not my intent. My comment was not directed at you or anyone else using this or any other product on the market. I think the product will work great as many have demonstrated. I was merely applauding Vinny's comment that we should not blindly beleive the claims by manufacturers and take them as fact, as these products have no regulatory commision to keep them in check.

1 person likes this.
  4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Now that,I agree with,hence why we are wanting members feedback as opposed to just believing what the label states.No harm,no foul.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i don't have an idea of why this product works well but it does. the longest i have had one in my reactor was 2 months, i change it out every 4 to 6 weeks is the norm. i leave it in its bag and put it into my reactor the bag wraps around the center post in the reactor. i have to add gfo to the reactor also since the clear fx pro does not have enough in it to keep my levels down. before starting to use this i had a high alk problem and could never get it in line, never not matter what i did. this has resolved that issue and my alk runs around 7 to 8... not the high 12 to 16 as it was.
    i have been threw about 4 bags of this product, i use one bag for my tank ( 35 gallon dt 25 gallon sump). and can say i still really like it and will continue to use it. i have 2 large containers of BRS carbon sitting in my closet, and still buy this and have that sitting, thats how well i feel clear fx pro works. my tank is over stocked with fish, i feed three time a day and i feel this stuff really keeps all in line. i have used the other mentioned product, and they are not the same, similar yes but not the same. i do feel putting the bag into the reactor makes a huge difference. i had it in a high flow area first and wasn't as impressed.
    on the coral subject i had not seen any problems. i don't have clams but do have carnation corals, purple tree corals and coco worms and tube worms. filter feeders. but as i said i feed all frozen foods a variety of rods is the stable food with others mixed in. and i don't drain the foods the juice goes into the tank also. . i think clear fx pro may have something like purigen in it???? there is something that looks like that. but i can't say for sure and have a bag of purigen in my filter sock at all times.

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

And I forgot to comment on this. Not only should we want to know, we should expect the manufacturer to be honest with us when we question. That being said, this industry is full of follower companies. If a company come up with a new totally safe way to enhance our system, copycats will follow. By these companies keeping secrets as to their ingredients or processes, make it harder for others that may want to copy. It seems to be a double edged sword. For me, there are few supplement/filter media companies that I trust. The reason I trust them is that they don't compromise on quality when it comes to their ingredients. I am not saying that the other's are not trustworthy, just that these companies have a reputation or I have built a friendship and that puts my mind at ease.

I was at a nameless large skimmer manufacturer's facility and hanging out in the office. While I was there, I noticed a table in the corner. Under that table was skimmers from nearly every other company around. That manufacturer stated that he purchsed competitors skimmers so that he could figure out what made them so special. He felt that if he understood that he would be able to not only copy their improvements but even improve upon them.

1 person likes this.
  7. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Curios as to why you are changing it within the first 25%-35% of it advertised lifespan. (Not that I would not do the same, just curious as to why in your words.)

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Heres another tid bit from Randy that I just read that lends me to believe changing it out regularly would be a good idea.

Please note that there are some statements on that web site which I am fairly certain are incorrect. One is the assertion that phosphate cannot be released again. Many people/companies claimed that about GFO until I proved it wasn't the case, but such demonstration should hardly be necessary as any chemical professionals in the field of phosphate binding (such as myself) know that such claims are invariable untrue with the sorts of materials that people could add to a reef aquarium.

The organic binding resin sounds like similar products from Seachem and other companies. I agree they may be interesting accompaniments to GAC as they likely bind a slightly different subset of organic material from the water. That said, what exactly is it that they are claiming it does that GAC cannot?

Also.The projected 4 month utility claim makes no sense. If it's gfo and gac the useful life will be much less depending on the amount of phosphate and organics in the water.

1 person likes this.
  10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have a very high bio load, and no way expect it to last 4 months in my case. first time i changed it was when i seen my ph dropping. but now i just change it out when i change the gfo

1 person likes this.
  11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Very interesting thread. Subscribed.

12. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I've yet to start using it actually. Was waiting on the filter :) I have ordered the 225ml ClearFX Pro to go along with it.
    They cyno issue is fuge related only. But that's not why I'm wanting to start the Clear FX Pro. I'm feeding a lot of frozen these days ( Mandarin) and am not running a skimmer.
    So this will actually be a little insurance should the need arise.
    Like others have stated, I'll be starting out with a very small amount. I bought some tiny mesh bags which will hold about 2-3 table spoons.

1 person likes this.