Heard a great rumor about Clear FX pro and how awesome it is!....

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by cosmo, Jun 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

From their site:
    BlueLife Marine has been working on their Clear Fx Pro, and they have released it at Reefstock. The Blue Life Clear Pro is a mixture of both premium Carbon and Premium GFO keeping Phosphates and organic waste in check. The 450ml Blue Life Clear FX will retail for 20 bucks and treats up to 120 gallons, and the 225ml container for retails for 14 bucks treating 60 gallons. Since the GFO and Carbon are mixed the filter media is best run passively versus a reactor since the particle will naturally separate, but the media can be run either way.

Here's a summation by my favorite chemist Randy Holmes Farley:
    I do not know what that product is other than what I read, and what I read is that it is a mixture of GFO and GAC. That may not be true, but the material sounds like and looks like a mixture of GAC and large particle or polymer coated GFO. Some types of GFO are pellets, and some are plastic coated spheres. This one sounds like a coated or large particle GFO, of which there are several brands. Such products may or may not be better (or worse) than ordinary GFO, but they have been around a while.

It also sounds like it has another polymer in it. It isn't clear what these are exactly, but they may be like Purigen or a polyfilter.

This might be a fine product, but again, I'd rather use individual products with known properties and be able to control the individual amounts relative to my tank needs. For example, ROX GAC and pellet GFO (what I currently use). I can adjust the relative amounts of each independently.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

thx for the info vin;) And I concur with what you say, but reading up on this, I'm hearing few negatives on it, and a few rumors of 3reefers loving it. My interest in this, is its seeming ability to function fine outside of a reactor, which I love the thought of. Not that I mind firing my reactor up, I just like the KISS method and want to stick to it as much as possible. And thus, when a lazy mans dream comes along, it piques my interest.

4. Brownie

Brownie Flamingo Tongue

"Literally sits there in high flow for as long as recommended but you might need two bags depending on tank size. It'll lower phosphates, lower nutrient/ organic matter level, and will add sufficient carbonates to stabilize alkalinty. The organic matter resin will give you unprecedented water clarity and the lowering nutrients and stable alk. Will give a step on any algal issues within the tank" Zach my friend and worker at local fish store had to say about Clear FX PRO.

He explained it as he opens the container throws a little teabag style pouch into his sump in his skimmer bay and lets it do its thing. He said its really simple and KILLS at doing its job.

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

A very good friend of mine and whom I get most everything tank related from swears by it also. www.JimsReef.com
    I bought this neat lil Tom canister filter just to run this stuff :) [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I have been using this stuff for about 5 months now, At first I was very impressed with it, but it literally strips your water out of quite a bit, my lps have been doing fine, but i had 5 clams and have lost 2 in the time. I talked to a few other reefers who use it and they found the same thing it stripped the water of quite a bit so extra dosing was required. Thats my 2 cents. I run it in a moddified tlf phosban 150 w a maxi jet 400.

1 person likes this.
  7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Nana,how long have you been running it?Have you noticed any benefits from it?Any downsides?Does it seem to stay active for the length of time mentioned?I also seen where you are fighting some cyano,is this before or after you started using it?Or is this why you started using it?

Cosmo and I were chatting about this in pm's and we decided to start a thread on it and appearently we sparked a few others interest as well.

Pink4miss recommended this to me a few weeks ago and i've never heard of it before that,I also recall Inwall,if memory serves right, mentioning this product in a thread awhile back.

We need some feedback from some of our members as both cosmo and I are interested in this stuff,but the more we read about it,the more it sounds to good to be true.Prove us wrong and convince us to simplify and improve our tanks.

Curt and pink4miss,we are waiting for you to chime in along with any others that have experience using Clear FX pro and tell us what you think!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

We must have been typing at the same time and I was afraid of this,my tank is all softies and lps that like a little nutrients in tank and I know cosmo has clams.Could the clams have perished from something else and maybe a coincidence?This is where we are getting conflicting info on this stuff and need firsthand experience from users.Thanks for the possible heads up.

Edit-you also mentioned this stripping your water,I was under the impression that it was supposed to replenish and stabalize your water.

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

The product is very similar if not the same as Boyd Chemiclean which is marketed the same way. Certainly nothing new. Does it work? Of course it does. What these products offer is the benefit of giving you multiple filter medias in one package so one product takes care of all your needs. You could do the same with your own mixture of media but who wants to buy and store all of those jars?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

This is always an issue with products that clean water, they can do it too quickly so your animals get shocked. I think using it passively at the start is a good idea and to use less than is recommended to allow your system to adjust to the changes and to slow the pace of the change down. This is always the suggestion with GFO and since it has GFO in it the contaminants may have been stripped too fast.

1 person likes this.
  12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks for the info. This is my major concern with having 3 clams:confused:

I think once the new tank is running a bit and gets dirty, maybe I'll try like 1/4 the dose.

But Vinny's post is really sticking in my head.