having trouble with my RO/DI system

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by hottielover14, Sep 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

I ordered this awsome 6 stage RO/DI water filter from ebay it's a reef system. Its pretty awsome when i figure out how to use it. Its my first one. It came with a copper peircing thing to pierce a hole in my pipes under my sink well that doesnt sound to easy or safe. So i bought a facuet adapter from somebody else. I tried using it when i got it home and the tube for the input connector kept flying out and water would spray everywhere. I have to cut the tubing to fit my area.

I cut 3 parts of it one for the waste valve which goes back into the sink, one for the outlet, that goes to a bucket to catch the good water, and third one goes for the in connector for the water to go in, thats connected to the faucet adapter. It won't stay in. I have no clue whats going on. I have stopped trying like a week ago. I need to do a water change because my tank has a brown algae bloom because i added more LR. someone please help.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

4. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

On parts of mine that are threaded we used tefelon or plumbers tape to keep it from leaking. Why are you using a bucket ?  Didn't they provide you with a presurized tank-4 gl? Don't you need the pressurized tank in order to get water up to your faucet. I know that's where mine comes from. I also have a 6 stage unit. Mine came from air, water and ice. Mine also had a thing to pierce the pipes. I think that's how most of them are. works just fine.

Someone else installed mine for me so I can't be of much help.

Good luck!

Cindy

5. hottielover14

i don't have a tank and no faucet it's just ran thru my sink faucet. NO thats not the adapter i have. It's leaking where the inlet tube goes into the in connector on my unit.

6. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

The unit I have had the same input to pierce the cold water line but I bought the adapter that screws in line with the cold water pipe. I just unscrew the water inlet under the sink, screw on the valve/adapter and reconnect the water that goes up to the sink. Then I drilled a hole in the drain and used their supplyed adapter to attatch the wast water in the hole. I went down to the hardware store and bought 25 foot black quarter inch water line and attatched this to a float valve on a 35 gal rubermade can. This way If I want I can run the line right down the hall into my fish room to any tank I like or hook up the trashcan w the float valve and it will make 35 gallons while I am at work and shut itself off. Heres the filter I bought. Easy instructions and took 1 hour to install after I got the parts togather.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...p;item=4321904152&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Jay

And yes I also have the 10 gallon preasure can hooked up but what it does is give me 10 gallons right fast then it slows to a slow stream for the rest of the 25 gallons.

hope this helps

7. hottielover14

thats kind of the same one i got. how did u connect your tubing and how did it come. My tubing wont stay in the IN hole. It flies out and water sprays.

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Do you meen it comes off the intake on the unit or where you attatched it to the supply? Those little fittings require those plactic O things that come in the little bag. They are compression fittings. Call filter direct they have excelent support. If you used the attatchment that hooks to your sink I did not use it. I used the supply line fitting that you actually screw on the cold water supply line. It has a good valve also incase you need to work on the unit you can turn off the supply.

HTH
    Jay

10. hottielover14

i figured out how to use it the compression fitting was missing and it fell off in shipping. is it better to run warm, hot, or cold water thru it. I ran 4 gal. of water thru it before i used it to get the carbon dust off. If some carbon was in the water would it hurt my reef. I've heard that it's not good to use an RO/DI system off and on. Is that bad for it. That's the way i do it.

11. hottielover14

I GOT IT WORKING IT'S AWSOME, and I have made 16 gal. of water to do my water change with. It took a couple of hours but it's awsome. Im having a brown algae and cyno problem and have been waiting to do a water change with that water but couldn't get it to work until now. I will do a 15-16 gal. water change every week until my whole tank is pure RO/DI water.