Havin' a freakout

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by suzique, Jun 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

OK, an update........I was up all night trying to get a picture. Every time I got up the thing was in the exact same spot, stretched across 3 large rocks. Another thing, It can see me. It would notice me looking at it, and zoom back into its rock. It never left the rock completely, it always had it's body in it's rock. I even took the rock out I saw it in and boiled it. A few small worms came out but not the monster.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I would look to remove bristleworms that large. See if you can pick up a bristleworm trap from you local fish store but prepare to be grossed out by what you catch :)

4. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

I'm not sure this is a bristle worm. It has many bristles on it sides but has a triangular head. Also every snail I had in my tank 4 days ago are GONE. I've found a few of the empty shells. Where he kept going last night, I found the shell of one of my turbo snails.
    I had 2 turbos 12 trocus and numerous tiny black ones. This is really getting to me. As smart as this thing is, I believe he is probably still in my tank. He moves at the speed of nascar, so jetting off as I lifted the rock wouldn't have been a problem.
    OOOH......EEK

5. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Have you try using an old pair of women stockings just put a piece of squid or shrimp and tie a string to it and let it set over night see what you might come up with, they can get quite large if not taken in consideration, btw does it look anything like this?!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this small worm when stretched out measure 8"

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

could look into a fish that has a taste for these badboys, I.E. 6 line wrasse

7. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

It looks similar to that, but it was grayish, had a smooth body with = sticking out on its sides. Can't tell if picture is smooth or like bristle worm.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

God that thing is ugly

10. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

maybe you need to look into this thread below, because the many species of polychaete worms there is
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/inverts/bristleworms-31441.html

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Well, off to make some sphagetti....LOL>>>>

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You may have a eunicid worm which can be destructive in a reef tank. Can you remove the rock that the worm is hiding under/in?

1 person likes this.