Have you ever seen these this big?

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by Jay, Oct 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Those look like frags to me so they may not be illegally imported. There are many animals in the USA that you can't import but you can breed. I'm not defending this company just trying to so a different side you may not have thought about.

2. Click Here!

3. donavonsreef

donavonsreef Plankton

I just purchased 3 of these polyps from RMW. They are not illegal, They are from a wholesaler in Indonesia & the shipment comes in on Tuesday. I know this because when i ordered them i asked Tyrone who works there. They would not pass citis if they were illegal.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hm...Japanese Acans pass cites inspections all the time. They are just 'favites' on the waybill. These are coming from a wholesaler in Indonesia, but they are not from there. They are apparently/supposedly from Vietnamese and/or Taiwanese waters "Before the ban" was put into place.

I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the word, I was just questioning the words 'coral' and 'banned' being in the same advertisement. Gresham would likely have the most valid information on this coral..being 'in the know/loop' and all!

I also got this followup email from Roe's as well...apparently we werent the only ones with the question..

"In case you wondered:
    HI
    This coral is now banned from harvesting from its mother country
    Vietnam.
    These were the last of what came out of the country before ban went
    into effect"

5. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

So of the people that bought these, how many actually already received them already? Are they really as big as the pics say or was it just zoom on the camera?

And are you all ready to keep these babies alive. You are our only chance of getting our hands on these in the future. The prices for them are just ridiculous.

6. sicktheologist

sicktheologist Plankton

havent even read to the bottom yet....but just beacause thier endemic for the most part doesnt mean they can be proven taken from a certain area. You can only presume that, plus they didnt mention how they got them, only that they are banned. I had alot of species of tarantulas that were on the "list" (citis), and can still find em for sale every now and then. But if they are getting and dist. them illegally then they are incredibly unintelligent, i just dont see how a "company" would say that unless they found a loophole or another source. Very interesting.

7. sicktheologist

sicktheologist Plankton

Gresh, i didnt mean to quote you....was trying to reply....::)

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

When it comes to endangered corals, any trade in the general hobby industry is shameful. Hunting out and explointing loop holes in the law is even more disturbing.

10. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Those look very nice, love the color. Are they hard to take care of?

11. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Come on everyone makes it sound like they are smuggling drugs or something dangerous to humanity. Come on here it is in the ocean for christ sake. The goverment is stopping someone from damaging the coral reef. What about the gallons of toxic chemicals that are being spilled from there war ships not to mention their NUCULER SUBS. Come on people why do we allow the goverment to control us like this. Our grand father left that back in England and now we are allowing it again. I don't think there is a Christopher Columbus around nor is there any other land to run away to.

12. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Hey I'll play Columbus, lets rebuild Atlantis! Who's with me???!!!

Doing anything that is illegal is wrong. Although I think that the reason this was banned has more to do with politics and the business that goes on with those countries than with taking care of reefs.

I've posted on this subject before. A OM harvester doesn't cause the depletion of reefs. As a matter of fact doesn't fragging increase coral growth rate in most of these animals?

It's the garbage the govt and the major corporations do that kill them and this planet off.

There is not a single oil company or govt that benefits from oil pumping, that doesn't hold tightly the patents, blue prints, schematics and even prototypes, of emission free vehicles (electrics, that run on water, or solar).
    But it would be a loss of earnings to throw those into mass production.

Let's see what their earnings will be like when the Ozone is gone. Knowing them they'll be the first to release space suits to the public, at a hell of a mark up.

....... Sorry about the ranting. I'm not a tree hugger or nuthin' I just hate injustice and abusive people and their practices.