Have you ever owned a Goldfish?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 16, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Have you ever owned a Goldfish?

1. Yes.

72.6%
  2. No.

27.4%
  1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

psps

hI,
    Those people who love to feed gold fish to other critters they wouldn't be my first choice as feeder's oddly enough goldfish store toxic waste in their scales and have been known to cause liver cancer in some snakes ( garter's) just thought I would mention that on behaf of gold fish.:p .
    Doug
    ps goldifsh can cause a thamin deficincy that can cause nerological problems.(( But the big worry is an enzyme called thiaminase, which destroys vitamin B1 (thiamin) and causes thiamin deficiencies: if you feed your garter nothing but fish that contain thiaminase, this can kill your snake.)) oddly enough most saltwater fish lack thiaminase.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I always had higher end F/W fish and aquariums around me as a kid growing up But I did win the Goldfish in a cup a few times at the county fair as a kid and I kept them a few days then tossed them into a pond on the farm. LOL Made good L/M bass and crappie food I suppose there where some that got to spawn I guess ? We always seemed to see a few here and their.. hiding in the weed beds .

4. Uvajed

Uvajed Flamingo Tongue

I know this is an old thread, but goldfish started me on this hobby. My daughter won two goldfish in the carnival ping pong ball game. She brought them home, and we bought the 'bowl'. She named them 'Dumb' and 'Dumber'. One of the fish died within a couple days. I asked her, how do you know which one died? She said, duh, the dumber one. We had 'Dumb' for 11 years. He eventually moved to a 1 gal hex, then a 5 gal hex. If you keep goldfish, filtering really helps. Anyway, thanks to my youngest, I now am in the sw hobby.

5. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

No but I still have a 29 gal with 4 big fw angels in it

6. Ellie

Ellie Plankton

I've always had goldfish and love black moors in particular... only have 4 at the moment in their own 180g tank. One of the moors, with the very original name of blacky :), is about 8 inches and seems to be growing still. I'd like to get some more fancies but I think I'll wait and see how big these guys get first.

The only thing I dont like about goldies is that theyre not compatible with much else besides other gf and the odd bn catfish or two...

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I had a few goldfish growing up but never one I can remember living very long... I did keep beta's for a long time, i still hate going to petco/petsmart to get dog food for my mutt cause I get sick seeing all the betas there is cups 1/2 full and losing their color, wife has to pry me away from buying all them even though I dont have a spare tank anymore, except this empty 75g... wonder how beta's would do with a really high turnover 75g freshwater being skimmed?

8. Click Here!

9. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

goldfish.lol

Like the Oscars! I think they are awesome they like to eat lizzards,bugs,nightcrawles,household insects, too many things to mention...lmao :idea: :goldfish: :laughcry:

10. yeager003

yeager003 Bristle Worm

I currently have a 7-8" long commet that i have had since i was 15 got it in my highschool biology class where we got it drunk. Pretty amazing he is still alive seeing as how it was drinking at a very early age. 9 years later it is still ticking. It is in a 20 gal long

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I won a goldfish when I was 5 yrs old at a church carnival. It's been downhill ever since

12. adamSpline

adamSpline Plankton

I have two fantail goldfish (2-3 inches). they are beautiful and have great personalities - they always come up to the side of the tank to say hi (of course they really just want food). I would recommend goldfish, but they get pretty big, and some types can be difficult to keep.