Has anyone tried this way of adding kalk?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by pink4miss, Dec 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Sorry, sort of busy at work and juggeling multiple threads - so I havn't read all the posts. The sock, if intended to, will not capture kalk dust - It will create a nitrate factory depending on your maintenance schedule. Sorry if I did not read your intention correctly.

I sware by the Kent marine float btw - it repalces evap as it evaps, perfect for adding kalk beyond incredibly slow.

2. Click Here!

3. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Could anyone suggest a good way for Dosing Kalk if you don't have a sump or ATO?

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

They sell small dosing units that are really cheap.

You could use a milk carton and poke a small hole in it and let it drip.

Start a siphon with an air hose and pinch it to a drip's pace.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

there is this guy who sells the iv drip part thats on the drip dosers you buy. all you need is a plastic jug with this
    EASY AUTO TOP OFF 4 AQUARIUMS ATO/KALK/SALT/WATER/TANK - eBay (item 270569127214 end time Dec-20-10 20:18:49 PST)
    oh i dont know this guy nor have a ever bought from him. but i thought it looked like a good idea.

Well i just got done cleaning the ato water container out completely ( pulled it and washed it all out) and im going to premix the kalk before putting it in the container as suggested. headed out to the shed now for some bubble wrap. i think im set. :) thanks again for all your help and thoughts on this.
    oh my jbj ato is not adjustable for time it appears :( its pre set so i have to stick with a faster pump than the doser pump. should have bought the tunze ato i guess. from what i have heard thats a better unit. live and learn.

6. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks Crimson. I'll look around. I know Dosing Kalk directly into the DT is risky if not careful but I don't have many options.

I have a basement apartment and my tank is on a stand 1 1/2" off the ground and a sump on the ground next to it would be unsightly.

I'm currently Dosing 2 part with DIY doser learned from blackraven's video.

What are your thoughts on a reactor?

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

just a little info. when i mixed the kalk i purchased from BRS i got a huge amount of white at the bottom of the container after it settled. i purchased the kalk+2 Brightwell product. while at the store yesterday. it just seemed like a good idea. anyway there is no white like there was from the BRS at the bottom of the container it was mixed in after it settled. huge difference on de-solving into the water. whats with that?

also tweaked the ato to be more precise. by just using the one float sensor, so its a very small amount of water evaporation than it adds.

finally feel like im getting somewhere with this kalk thing

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Once you mix and obtain a supersaturation in the water, the remainder will fall out and become powder. I don't know what difference the brand will make here unless you put in more of one brand. Alternatively, if you were allowing CO2 contact, that would mean you had more CO2 one time Vs. the other.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

yes one time i mixed it in the opened topped ato top off container. and the next time with no sentiment i had mixed in a 2 1/2 gallon jug. put the lid on shook it and left it be till an hour had passed

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have a Tunze ATO and kalk reactor (attached to it)... although my inhabitants seemed fine, I definitely had sand clumping as mentioned by inwall75. I had to remove a lot of my sand in big chunks when moving my tank recently. This has made me rethink how I am adding kalk.

matt

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

do you have a sump also? i really feel the sock will help. im leaving the extra sock in my sump and will filter the kalk ato water threw it as it goes into the sump . i feel the sock has to do something, i will change it weekly. maybe get the short sock so its not in the water to much .. do you think maybe some of the kalk reactors throw the water in to fast. as inwall75 was saying slow is better.