Harlequin Shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by omard, Jun 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL let me know how the training goes :) As I posted earlier I hope yours eat them , I have had several pairs and wold have some now but The Boss added a Linkia sooooo you know how that goes .

But I had a respected old school expert once tell me when all the hysteria started up about the little starts eating corals that first off the stars don't eat corals , I found out they never bothered a coral I have or had, And secondly the Harlequins won't eat the little asterinas because they lack a single common vein or something in their arms .. I don't recall the whole conversation as it was yrs ago and I really could care less my brain in full up now :) But I never had the Harlequins to eat them in any tank I had. I even starved a young pair of the shrimps in hopes they would get hungry. But I have heard they will eat them also ???

But all I speak from in experience ,, And I always had the shrimp and the starts.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

The asterina's were what triggered my order for the shrimp. Now that I have them, I am really happy they are here, if they eat the little starfish or not. They are a great addition to the tank.

Unfortunatly don't get to see much of them as they have retreated to a "lair" behind the rock with a sand star. Only get glimpses of them now and then.

Actually the asterina plague has drastically abated...maybe I have caught most of them. Or I am getting help from the wrasses, or manderin that may be eating the little bitty ones. :confused:

Will see.

[​IMG]

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Closeup of one of the Harly's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They're so pretty....I might have to get a pair for the 180 after all. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the linkia :lol:

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I would think a person with a sig banner like yours would have to have some. ;D

The Harly's will take care of linkia for you! ;)

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I did have a pair until earlier this year. They went MIA a few weeks before we transferred everything from the tank that they were in into the new 180. It's not easy to find a mated pair either and I hardly ever see them in fish stores anymore :( Here's a picture I took of my pair:

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Gorgeous creatures! Am so sorry yours came up missing. Any clue to what happened? :worried:

Got quick look at one of mine this AM...this one tends to wander a bit it appears. Certainly not looking for food, as they have a whole sand star back in the lair.

[​IMG]

I have a new feeding plan...am going to get 3 chocolate chips...one will go into tank, two into sump (plenty of ditreous in there to feed on.)

After week or so, will fish the one out of tank and replace it with one in sump. The one in tank will go into sump to grow out a bit before getting its turn again in the main tank again. Starfish regenerate and grow pretty fast. So with 3 to cycle back and forth, I may be able to keep ahead of the shrimp.

Ok, it is a good theory - :p - worth a try.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

They where squashed by moving rocks I'm sure or just got caught up in the mucky black water and tossed out.. Linkias or Harlequin shrimp s ??? You decide LOL

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Find me a mated pair first then we'll talk ;D

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I know a few people who feed their harlequins in that manner so it should work out fine for you.