hard corals vs. soft corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by hottielover14, Aug 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

but if the only softies i had were xenia and yellow polyps mixed w/ LPS and SPS would that be ok.

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

You'll still experince booming growth with those two softies. Many, including myself, feel yellow polyps are a plague, just like aptasia. They can multiply extremelly quickly under the right conditions. The matting type of xenia is the same way, it grows extremelly quickly, and its harder then heck to remove from rock work. The non matting (tree like one, can't remember its descriptive name right now) is fine though, its really easy to remove. Both those won't really harm your corals via toxins or slime, but if given the chance to grow near your LPS or SPS, they'll overgrow them and or irritate them till they die. In my tank, I put those types of things on the sand bed or near the base of the rock work. I also have an area of rubble as a barrier. If they grow onto the rubble, its removed so they can't continue up the rock work.

4. hottielover14

so your saying i should put my xenia and polyps at the bottom of my tank . i was thinking of buy like 10 more lbs. of LR for my tank. i have 47 so far. i don't wanna buy too much because somebody on here said that u don't wanna put too much rock in your tank because you might have to remove some when u add more corals.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yah, or near too. One thing about the rubble barrier zone is, when the softies grow on it, you can sell the frags to your LFS or trade them to friends. Small stuff would be better then larger pieces as you'll be able to be more selective when removing it. At first I put too much rock in my tank, but I was able to sell some as corals grew.

6. hottielover14

ok thanks. do u think 10 more lbs. will be enough.

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I skirted around that question as density of rock is SO variable. Its really hard for me to say. 10 lbs of nice Fiji is 2 to 3x the mass of FLA aquacultured. I say go with what looks like it would fit. Don't worry bout weight, its not a good way of approaching liverock IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

As of now I have a Pagoda cup, Open brain, pineapple brain, Toadstool leather, Cabbage leather, a few different kinds of polyps, a Crocea clam, Pulsing Xenia, Montipora Digita , and 3 BTAs. I have had nothing sting anything or even try. That is nowhere near the amount of corals I plan to keep in the tank. My next thing is Acro as soon as I get rid of the last of my hair algae. I think you will be fine mixing them as long as you keep an eye out and watch how you space them. Keep us posted on your coral decisions.

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Coral;num=1092089118;start=15#25 date=08/10/04 at 15:08:37] I say go with what looks like it would fit.  Don't worry bout weight, its not a good way of approaching liverock IMO.[/quote]

Some of the best advice I have heard in a long while :)

John

11. hottielover14

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks for the clarification! Appreciate it! ;D ::)