hard corals vs. soft corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by hottielover14, Aug 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Isn't there some concern over the soft corals producing toxins that affect hard corals? Is good skimming enough to overcome that? Or do I believe too much of what I read and this is not really an issue? ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I agree with Gresham I have witnessed too many times the death of Other LPS or SPS by my killer LPS.

I need to frag a Hammer and a Bubble. Both are not branching. I thought I'd try the elastic method. but need to reread the information I have gathered before I start.

J

4. Jason McKenzie

BL I believe some soft corals play a role in SPS problems. The reason I believe this is while I had several Large Leathers and a large Devils Hand I was unable to keep frags of SPS in my tank. They would polyp for the first day or so then never polyp again and eventually die off and get encrusted in coraline algae. I removed most of the soft corals I had but left some rouge shrooms and zoos, I haven't had a problem since.
    This is not exactly scientific but it's what I needed to do in order to keep SPS

J

5. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

so basically LPS corals are kind of risky to have in my tank. I just want a brain coral in mine it's 5" long. I don't want it to hurt my brown acro, xenia, clam, or yellow polyps.

6. hottielover14

would a colt or a plate coral cause any problems. i've heard though that colts can create toxins that can kill SPS corals and i've also heard that plate corals can move around and could possibley get hurt and die.

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks Jason!

Re: HL's comment

"so basically LPS corals are kind of risky to have in my tank."

I'm a little confused.....LPS and Soft Corals....are they the same or different animals? I thought they were different.

It would be OK to keep LPS and SPS in the same tank, just be careful of the larger soft corals?

Thanks!! :D

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Plate corals can move, but they really don't go far. When choosing a plate, have the LFS turn it over (while submerged) and check to see if any tissue is falling off. Sometimes are gets trapped beneath them, and that eats away the tissue. When placing them, try to put it on an incline, using some rubble on your sand bed. Its been said they do better when not truly placed on the sand bed, but rather on some small rubble that'l lift it up a little.

Like Jason said, leathers, sinularias and a few other softies can inhibit.]/retard SPS growth. Softies can produce large amounts of slime that will smother and kill other corals (regardless of being a SPS,LPS or softie). Colt corals produce alot of slime. true SPS reefers don't add any softies as they produce toxins, slime and grow very quickly. They don't even like zo's and shrooms, go figure. Guess if my shroom killed my tricolor acro, I'd hate them too. Oops, it did, damn shroom!

LPS really aren't a problem, just keep in mind when placing it, that some expand quite large.

My worst sweeper tentacles are on my pavona, and my old galaxia. In current, I've seen them get like 4" long.

10. hottielover14

so what are you saying gresham. keep softies and LPS together w/ sps or not. i'm kind of confused. i like both of them.

11. Jason McKenzie

I would say SPS and Softies don't mix but all other Combos are OK.

J

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yah, what Jay said ^