Hanna Calcium Checker Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by dowtish, Aug 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

how did you get yours over a month ago? who did you order from?

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I borrowed this from a chemist commenting on my local reef club thread.

The Hanna Calcium checker has an operational range of 200-600ppm and the tank water can normally range from 300-500. In order for the Hanna checker to work with the simplified LED spectrophotometer at its set wavelength, the tank water to be tested must be diluted to the checkers measurement range.

The addition of 0.1 mL of tank water to the 10 mL of RODI and Reagent A will give an approximate dilution factor of 1:100

Dilution Factor = sample/sample + RODI + Reagent A
    Dilution Factor = sample/total
    Dilution factor = 0.1 mL/10.1 mL

The checker reads out in ppm, so it is internally calculating the calcium concentration X 100 by multiplying the absorbance (or transmission) of light through the chemical reaction of calcium displacing zinc and forming a colored complex with the zincon indicator.

This reaction is well documented in laboratories for the measurement of calcium. One note of caution in comparing sample test results.....The accuracy of the Hanna Calcium checker is +/- 6% of the reading. Based on the stated accuracy, the reading of 447ppm will be in the range of 447ppm +/- 27ppm or 420ppm to 474ppm.

Quality control plays a large factor in the accuracy you will get using any test method. You should test a "blank" (or a known zero calcium sample), a standard (a sample with a known calcium concentration), and your tank sample. This will give you an idea of the accuracy of your testing technique and the instrument that you are using.

Once you are comfortable in using this test kit with the Hanna Checker, then it will be more accurate than trying to color compare the test sample with a color card to get a final calcium concentration. It will be more reproducible and consistent in the determination of calcium concentration in your tank water.

1 person likes this.
  4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

very Interesting point/observation..will do this when I get mine in..

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Salty Supply. I preorded it the day that was available. And I got it the week after July 4

6. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

I knew I should have done that..lol...but it will be worth the wait..(coming soon from 3reef sponsor TBAquatics)

7. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Well I took the test over to a friends house this weekend, and had him test his water with his test kit at the same time I tested his water with mine. I had the results in about half the time. I asked him what he got, and he said, "somewhere between 420 and 430." and I had 427. Right on the money, and was waiting on him to finish. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Thank you for the review; will be picking up a full set of these in the future.

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

So I am updating this thread after realizing where I had left off with it.

The Cal. checker has a few issues with it. And there has been quite a negative response from most hobbyist. The problem using 98 percent RO/DI for this test is that you can have cal. in your RO/DI. And that the syringe that is included with the kit to add the 1ml of saltwater is not efficient at all. Hanna themselves have admitted to this, and have suggested going to a pharmacy and buying diabetic syringes for a more accurate reading.

There are at least 3 threads on different forums with much more detail on this matter. And being that hanna has admitted to including a faulty syringe, maybe they will somehow improve this some time down the road. All this being said, I still really like hanna products and what they have provided us hobbyist with and will continue to support them.

1 person likes this.
  11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Thanks for the heads up. I have had problems with the syringes that come with the ALK kit as well. The tip doesn't fit snugly on the syringe and either leaks out or doesn't fill the syringe up all the way. I have fixed this by wrapping a piece of teflon tape around the end of the syringe and it works fine.A little irratating but I still love this thing. I was kinda wary of using Rodi water in the calcium kit so I am glad you posted.8)

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i seen a mrsaltwater video we're he says to fill the syringe to the full line which is 10ml than just add 1 ml which will leave the siring with 9 left in it. but a more accurate dosing of the salt water