Hang on back Fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Tangotan, Dec 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangotan

Tangotan Astrea Snail

Hello everyone, since the moment I got my sump I've wanted to have a refugium, unfortunately my protein skimmer won't let me efficiently keep a fuge. For this reason I started looking around and came upon a hang on back by finnex I believe that has a model that brings the hang on box, a small pump and an led bar. I will provide the link so you guys can let me know what you think and if anyone has or is currently using one or something similar can give some feedback.
    Thanks,
    Yoel

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8BREP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_pV8zwbEG57W6Q

2. Click Here!

3. insanereefer420

insanereefer420 Fire Worm

Heard good things about them. Would rather mod and aquaclear hob filter though. Cheaper and just as efficient. Just check youtube for aquaclear refugium mods. There are tons of how to vids

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

What sized tank is it?

5. Tangotan

Tangotan Astrea Snail

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I've used those filters on a few tanks and have always been happy with them.

7. Tangotan

Tangotan Astrea Snail

For the algae in the fuge though I have some doubts. I have a ball of chaeto from some diy projects for a fuge but I'm guessing I should dump that piece? It's about 4 inches long. Also I was thinking of keeping three different types of algae to use all of the chamber on the fuge... Thoughts?

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

It's not a bad idea to start with a few different species of macro algae, but you'll shortly see which one grows the best under your specific conditions, and the one that grows the most consumes the most.

10. Tangotan

Tangotan Astrea Snail

Sounds good! I read somewhere though that if none of the algae is growing it's somewhat of a good sign in your tank? I'm not too sure

11. mikejrice

It could be a good or bad sign really. It could be that there's no nutrients there to consume, but it could also mean that your nutrient cycle is already adjusted for something else to consume the nutrients.

12. Tangotan

Tangotan Astrea Snail

Oh ok, that makes sense, well I'm gonna order it now and it should get here around Friday. I'll keep everyone posted and thank you for all the help, greatly appreciated