Hammer.

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by gsxr1000rider, Apr 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Is it possible that it was damaged in transit? It's critical that none of the flesh is damaged, brown jelly can easily set in.

Is the brown slime coming from the mouth, or from the flesh?

2. Click Here!

3. gsxr1000rider

gsxr1000rider Fire Shrimp

i doubt it was damaged at all, i watched it get placed in the bag and i was careful adding it to mine after acclimation, i didnt drop it or touch the flesh as best as i could, i held it by is skely,.. its coming from around all the flesh, not so much centered over its mouth, could it be die off trying to clean its self?
    ive since added another hammer and its doing awesome!!!! BLUGGGGGGG

4. barbianj

Brown jelly is a protozoan infestation. Once it sets in, it's difficult to stop. If the brown slime is coming from the flesh, that's most likely what it is, unfortunately. Iodine dips are supposed to work, but I haven't had luck with them.

I ran across this article recently, but I don't know where to get the medication that he describes. Brown Jelly Treatment

5. barbianj

Btw, my first two hammers died a slow death due to poor handling (from me :-[)
    The skeleton is very sharp, and will easily cut the flesh if it's extended. The hammer that I have now was transported with a piece of styrofoam pushed onto the bottom of the branch, and floated upside down in the bag.

6. gsxr1000rider

I'll try and get a good picture of it tomorrow, my lights are off already. If it is brown jelly what do you suppose I do, toss it or I read something saying take it out and scrub is gently with a soft brush to get the jelly off. Also will brown jelly move to my other corals?
    I noticed the slim is light brown, kidney cloudy light brownish color, doesn't look like other pics I've looked up that had brown jelly. Thanks buddy!!!

7. gsxr1000rider

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

If it is brown jelly, the coral melts away pretty quick. If it's bad, it's best to get rid of the coral. If it had multiple heads, the bad ones could be cut off. Wish I had better news for 'ya. :cry: At least the other one is doing good. :)

10. barbianj

If it looks like it's brown jelly, you can try an iodine dip. It does seem to help a bit, but to me didn't seem like the actual cure. It is a protozoan, though. Bacterial infections are usually secondary.