Hammer time!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by david, Nov 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Got a big problem. My hammer coral fell about 3 days ago.
    Since the fall he looks o.k. but he's not extending like he did before I don't know if this is caused by a.) He got hurt in the fall b.) He dosen't like the new spot ( I'm skiddish about putting him back where he was) c.) The currant is all wrong. ( I keep moving the currant around to try and please him! or d.) all of the above.
    So I also have moved the coral daily almost I know this is bad but it never looks happy am I just upseting the coral with all this different movement should I just put it back where it was it stayed there with out falling for months ( I susspect a crab may have been the culprit) please help with your thoughts
    Thank you for any and all help!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

David,
    His new spot is it higher/ lower or about the same?
    the fall could have traumatized it a bit but you may be adding to the trauma by continued moving. I would suggest medium flow high light. (I'm not sure of your lighting) and let it settle for a week.
    I have had my hammer fall and it did not extend for about 3 days after. Since then it has been fine.
    Jason

4. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks J.
    I thought I might be messin' with it too much. I did put it back in it's origanal spot. I have 55 watt power compacts so I had it high up in the tank. The new spot was lower and I don't think he liked it. He already looks happier than ever (in the last three days) back where he was. Now I have to worry about another fall though. :-[
    D.

5. Jason McKenzie

Is it a branching hammer or not. You can use the aquarium safe apoxy to hold it in place. or even gel super glue. If it is branching some people use cable ties to hold it. But I like using LR rubble or to find a crack in the rock to fit it in.
    J

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=Jakets link=board=ASAP;num=1068830159;start=0#3 date=11/14/03 at 13:25:10]I like using LR rubble or to find a crack in the rock to fit it in.
    J[/quote]

I agree!

7. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

same here. epoxy or superglue is fine too!

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I really don't want to use the glue or epoxy dosen't seem right. If i put it in a crack between two rocks does it matter if it is up and down or can it be facing out (towards the front glass)?does this matter? I don't know, I thought that it should be facing toward the light Let me know what you guys think!

10. Jason McKenzie

I have mine at about a 45 degree angle towards the glass

Why are yoy dead?

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Not to high jack this thread, but great looking tank J!

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

if you move your corals you should let it sit for a couple days before moving again becuase they have to adjust to the new lighting and water flow when they are moved but if you can put it back in its happy spot thats good to